Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oscar nominations

Why do I persist in caring? The unanswerable question. Maybe I have excess energy since I no longer care for most sports. Or something. Who knows.

And the best five movies of 2005 were:

Brokeback Mountain? Yeah, you kinda know my feelings about that one. Downer.
Good Night, and Good Luck? I actually want to see this one, since I went to the Edward R. Murrow School of Communications, but if I hadn't, I can't say I would have cared.
Capote? My 'virtual mother-in-law' says she liked it, but I don't trust her opinion on movies as far as I can throw it. Guess I'll have to see it for myself. (and, another downer.) Though Philip Seymour Hoffman does totally rock.
Munich? I love Spielberg, but ... Ugh. Another total downer.
Crash. A surprise nomination. I heard good things about this one, though it sounds like the racial profiling and anvilicious metaphors beat viewers about the head. Oh, well. Will probably be the most enjoyable one to view, nonetheless.

I was still hoping, though I knew 'twas in vain, for Cinderella Man to pull through. It was a well-made, well-acted movie (yeah, Russell Crowe's a jerk. But I'm okay with that, if he can make me forget it for two hours in the theater), and fun to watch. Not controversial enough, apparently. It's a wonder that Transamerica wasn't nominated, also. I guess there's something to be grateful for. (actually, I'm sure that Cinderella Man wasn't nominated because *gasp* we can't have two movies with the same theme winning two years in a row!)
Walk the Line -- also a good flick. Just not quite as good as these five all-timers, it would seem.

My movie prediction for Best of 2006: Whatever Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby, Crash) writes the screenplay for.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but I'm pulling for Brokeback Mountain. On the plus side for you, Kate, Paul Giamatti (sp?) won a SAG.

    My perennial favorite and hope for Oscars every year, although he probably doesn't quite deserve it this year, is Joaquin Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, yet. But I really love Ang Lee!!! Have you seen The Wedding Banquet? You might like that one better - it's hysterical!

    ReplyDelete