Thursday, January 19, 2006

who's seen it?

Okay, who's seen Brokeback Mountain? I would like to discuss this movie with someone.
In a rare moment of restraint, I'm not going to spell out my full thoughts here, but I will say that I didn't think that much of it. And not for the reasons you'd think. However, after hearing the umpteenth ad touting it as "not only one of the best movies of the year, but a masterpiece for the ages -- you'll never think the same way again," I'm very open to someone telling me what's so great about it. Besides the acting, which was terrific.
I will say this -- most of my, er, absence of love for the movie was due to the fact that I expected a love story. Why? Because that's what I've been told it is. I did not find it to be one. I'm not usually a fan of any kind of adulterous theme -- though I seem to be inundated with them lately (I saw Walk the Line last weekend) -- but I really, really tried hard to go into it with an open mind.
Just let me know if you saw it, and if you wouldn't mind talking about it sometime. Change my mind -- convince me it was great. Seriously. Because otherwise, I will be throwing things at my television set during the Academy Awards, and I haven't paid it off yet (the TV, that is), so that would be bad.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM EST

    I'm stepping up. I've seen Brokback Mountain and thought it was a great movie. It is sooo much of a love story! Drop me a line and I'll tell you more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the movie too, but more as a tragedy/social commentary.

    ReplyDelete