Tuesday, January 10, 2006

on being responsible

I just canceled my Netflix subscription. I am flickless.

It's kind of sad, at least for me -- I would think, "Hm, I haven't watched any Netflix lately. That's a shame," but things like getting sleep just seemed to be a higher priority. When you have a child who goes to bed at 10, and you have to get up at 6, and you have convinced yourself that you need 8 hours of sleep a night... Well, you can do the math. I don't get 8 hours' sleep all the time, of course, but there are other things in life! Books! Telephone calls! Sitting on your bed and staring at the wall because the silence seems so lovely! Etc.
I was thinking, "$19 a month is a deal! You can watch all the movies you can send back and forth!" Until you find yourself getting nothing for that money.
Netflix, I love thee for having every old episode of "Ab Fab," when my local Blockbuster had only one season. For allowing me to feel like a movie critic by rating movies on your site. For giving me something (besides bills, sales flyers, offers for a lower mortgage and credit cards) to find in my mailbox. For allowing me one last artsy viewing of The Station Agent last night.

This post doesn't have much of a point, besides the simple fact that I love Netflix. I love the concept; the efficiency; the organizational tools on the Web site. I highly recommend it for all who have time and interest in watching movies. Someday, I will be among your number again.
Until then, there's always endless repetitions of Disney movies that I own. Oh HOORAY!
(I'm still holding fast to the $35-a-month payment for the cell phone I almost never use. That one, you'll probably have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:00 PM EST

    Oh no! You were my Netflix buddy! Now whose movie tastes will I spy on? Admittedly I had noticed that the "Kate has at home" section has remained unchanged for quite awhile.

    You have penned a moving tribute to the company that recently reintroduced me to Mork and Mindy, Bette Davis, and Cary Grant. Plus the complete line of Cohen brothers movies. Not all at once, of course.

    Though I am sad, I congratulate you on your canny adult-like decision-making skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Station Agent - glad to hear that you went out on a high note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm going to have add the Station Agent to my queue. (I don't get nearly enough sleep.)

    ReplyDelete