Friday, January 13, 2006

"I'm tired of penguins"

I know I'm about 10 months late to this one, but we finally watched (some of) March of the Penguins last night.

Lizzy has been in love with the train table that "Santa" brought her. She wants to play on it ALL THE TIME. Not by herself, though. We have actually found ourselves, a time or two, trying to lure her away with it with the promise of TV viewing... Hard to believe we'd be encouraging that over a somewhat active pursuit, but there it is. And, Matt and I wanted to see the movie, too.

I was talking to my dad when Matt and Lizzy went downstairs, so I missed the first part. I'm hoping I missed some explanation of why these poor animals must walk 40-70 miles several times a year, because that just seems blasted inefficient. Maybe someone who actually watched the movie without distraction can fill me in.
When I did go down to the basement, I could hear Lizzy's chirpy little voice peppering Daddy with lots of "Why?"s. It wasn't so effective, since her questions made us miss Morgan Freeman's voice-over explanations. So I settled in and helped Matt handle some of the "Why?" load.
After awhile, Lizzy wanted to go play with the train again. I kept trying to get her to hold on for the babies to hatch, because I was getting into the movie... Eh, another time, I guess. At least, I own it, so I'm not dependent on Netflix for this one. I bought the DVD sight unseen -- rare for me -- on the strength of all the cool things I heard about it.

Finally, Lizzy said, "I'm tired of penguins," in a very cute, petulant little voice. All right. Since you expressed yourself so well, my dear. Let's go play with the train.

I liked what I saw of the movie, but, like probably 100 percent of the rest of the folks who've viewed it, I thought to myself, "Their lives are SO hard! Why must their lives be so hard?"
Then I remembered that I ask that myself, about us humans, every so often. My life is certainly not hard compared to, well, anyone else's, really. I think what I tend to ask is, why isn't life simpler. But that's an entirely different conversation.
I was awed by the way God created these little guys. The survival instincts and mechanisms they have. The way they pair off, and the understanding that they have to work together in certain ways to carry on the species. Their apparent devotion to their mates, and the relatively small amount of time they actually get to see each other. (though keep in mind, Lizzy and I left shortly after the mommies returned to the daddies and the new hatchlings.) Awe-inspiring. Perhaps this weekend I'll get to see the rest of it, though I doubt we'll be able to talk Lizzy into it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Ethan didn't like it either. At least, from what I hear, he didn't - he watched it with my parents. ^shrug^ But he's fascinated by this train movie we got at the library, which explains and demonstrates, in great detail, how a steam engine works. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. It usually takes us a week to watch films. We have to do it in 20 minute chunks, when Levi is asleep or distracted. It becomes easier just to watch old episodes of friends on DVD. And to think we used to be movie lovers.

    ReplyDelete