Monday, January 16, 2006

the name game

I am taking delight in deconstructing fairy tales these days. Perhaps you'd noticed. I'll spare you the entirety of my musings in regards to "Sleeping Beauty" at this juncture, though.

Last night, we watched "S.B." for the first time -- Lizzy's first time, that is. There were fewer questions than there sometimes are. Perhaps that's because she was busy bouncing around, making tea for us, asking for "real" food, etc. She doesn't like to sit still, that one.
I warned her that it might be kind of scary at times. She didn't seem too bothered.

Remember the three "good witches," or fairies, or whatever they are? They "bless" Sleeping Beauty at the beginning, then end up raising her in an attempt to hide her from the evil witch Maleficent, who, for reasons I never could figure out, wants her dead. Yeah, yeah, she wasn't invited to her public introduction. Big deal! Those things are boring, if you're not good friends of the parents. But I digress.

So Lizzy says, "What are their names?" Meaning the three fairies. I tell her, "Flora, Fauna and Merriweather." "Oh, like my cousins!" she says, brightly.

Matt and I try our hardest not to hoot with laughter.

Here's where this joke falls flat, because for those of you who aren't familiar with my brother and sis-in-law, and their penchant for strange baby names, this joke won't hold up for the length of time it takes to explain their names. To you, I apologize... I have four nieces. Their names are designed to mean something in the original Greek or Hebrew: For example, one's name means "Grace, Mercy and Peace." Let's see, I think that's Charis. Their first names are Aletheia, Maranatha, Charis and Zeteite. Their middle names are so outrageous that I don't even remember them -- the first child's full name is Aletheia Postkuneumate Williams (I think I misspelled the middle name; sorry), and the middle is Maranatha Prostheuneumai? Maybe?

In any case, now you know why my child's name is Elizabeth. If I could come up with a more common name than that, I might have chosen it.

5 comments:

  1. This gives me something to think about. Jason & I are always thinking of names that would be acceptable in pets or future kiddies. I always tend to lean toward the bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throwback names -- and British names -- are all the rage. Check out the top 100 boys' and girls' name lists. I am shocked by the number of Mikaylahs and Chloes and Madisons and Aidans. I have nothing against (most of) those names; it's just surprising. Oh, and Taylors and Jordans (both genders for both), etc. ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I'm (at least in my plans) done naming children, I get to name quilts. Here's my latest quilt name: Cakestands for Charlotte Evelyn. I named it after both my grandmothers. For some reason the quilt just reminded me of one grandmother and I pieced it using the other grandmother's sewing machine. I love names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,

    Those are the most awesome names I've ever heard! I love them! I have the perfect name for their fifth daughter - "Poiema Kathoratai". However, I'm not sure I care for that middle name...way too much like "Katharine," which is an outrageously outlandish name. Might as well call her "Autumn Breeze" or something.

    By the way, if you'd like the most common name in history, why not go with "Mary?" There's a unique one. Your child will never get lost in a crowd with that name.

    By the way, I came across this archaic post, which I had missed the first time, BY SEARCHING FOR MY CHILDRENS' NAMES ON GOOGLE. Oh, yes, your reference to Zeteite's name makes the top 10 Google hits for "Zeteite Williams," you bum. I'm watching you.

    -BenBro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, to clarify, that search was for the more generic "Zeteite". The search "Zeteite Williams" comes up with no hits. For the record, Aletheia was not that uncommon a name a century ago, as you'll see by searching on "Aletheia Williams." "Charis Williams" is actually a PRETTY COMMON NAME, judging by the number of hits. "Maranatha Williams" even comes up with one hit. No hits for the last two, though.

    ReplyDelete