Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I'm so superficial

Really. I hate the fact that I can't hit "enter" to skip from title to text in blogger. Now I have "I'm so superficial" out there, with no accompanying text, until I get done typing. GREEEAAAAT.
It reminds me of the days of my three-year (!!) internship in the Seattle Times sports dept. Oh, the tales from that experience... One time, someone discovered that you could record your own personalized sound to use instead of the computer "blip!" when you attempted something the computer didn't like. So we were recording various randomness in the office. Someone stuck a mike in my face and said, "Say something!" I said, not knowing what to say, "My mind's a blank."
Apparently, he used that sound bite all weekend, and when I returned from my two days off, one of our coworkers said, "I've been really sick of you for the past two days." Yikes.

But back to the original intent: Last night, Matt got his taxes done. I got mine done the day before. I always go into tax time having no idea what I'll get back, but hoping for a bunch. It's never as much as I hope for, of course, and then the reality of whatever the financial situation is sets in for another year. (I could still be more fiscally responsible... *cringe*) Matt's tax return, bless his sweet soul, is going toward my engagement ring this year. I was so excited about it (while he was away getting it done last night), I forgot to watch American Idol! THAT'S how excited I was.

This morning, we have the following exchange as we're rushing around putting socks on and grabbing Lizzy, etc.:

ME: I need you to help me make an important decision! (I love doing that, and then saying something totally unimportant) Should I give something up for Lent this year?

MATT: Yeah. Expensive jewelry.

ME (a few beats later): Well, really, you're meant to give up something you ALREADY HAVE for Lent ... Then you feel the loss of it.

zing! zing!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 PM EST

    Kate, I'm just impressed that you have your taxes done. And secondarily, congratulations on your engagement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've played this too far, I see ... I'm not engaged. Honest. I will definitely say so in no uncertain terms when I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:32 PM EST

    But you really have your taxes done, no kidding? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, definitely!
    Single/homeowner in Va./head of household makes for a nice chunk of change. So I was eager to get my grubby little hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy. Kate, you have beaten us to the tax finish. The other J every year, on January 1, begins to fret aloud about W-2s and other financial statements. There will be gnashing of teeth and he will no doubt have some choice things to say about how slow some institutions are.

    ReplyDelete