Sunday, December 03, 2006

Things I Learned Over The Weekend, Which I Should Have Already Known

1) Don't believe the 4-year-old when she says, at bedtime, that she's "just" gone potty. (as in, just a few minutes ago.) Don't believe it unless I see it with my own eyes.

2) Don't assume that my phone company has decent -- as in, short of highway robbery -- rates to foreign countries. Definitely call the company first to confirm this before talking to an old friend for an hour.

3) Don't open any bills right before it's time for the family to trim the Christmas tree. Having a heart attack because of a $161 hourlong call to England is not going to put me in a festive mood.

4) Don't assume that the car has gas in it, even if it appears to be above the "empty" line and the gas light has not come on yet. In fact, don't ever let it get below empty. One day, an angel in the form of a good friend might not happen along quite as conveniently. (Thanks, God! And Dee!)

5) When my mother warns me, in not so many words, that a bit of pulpy fiction I'm considering reading isn't worth my time (or money), I should listen. Please remind me of this when his, er, "next" book comes out.

5 comments:

  1. Does this mean that you stopped for coffee today, but not for gas? That is just so many kinds of beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 scares the daylights out of me. Thanks for the warning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: All right, now! I'm not quite THAT bad. Though that does kinda sound like me.
    No: The gas issue was on the way to church. (Could it be ... SATAN?!) And the coffee was obtained on the way home from church. Yes, it had been in my clutches for a few hours by the time I saw you again.

    Tara: I think what I meant to type there was "Don't let it get below 1/4 full." Oops. :)
    Matt is to blame, truth be told. I'm always in favor of stopping for more gas. He's in Kramer mode: "Let's see how far we can get!" Or so it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I meant that it was scary that one could run out of gas before actually, technically being below the empty line. It's a razor's edge I live on all the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara! What is UP with car manufacturers, making that possible...
    Although, as our friend who came along suggested, perhaps we banged the undercarriage against something at some point, which dented the tank and threw off the reading. A frightening prospect.

    ReplyDelete