Friday, December 08, 2006

one reason I'm at least 10 pounds overweight

Lizzy's day care teachers asked the parents to donate a cake for a bake sale they're having today. I decided to go all out -- in my mind, it's worth it for baked goods, but you won't catch me making a proper meal very often; go figure -- and make a carrot cake from scratch, complete with cream cheese frosting and decorated with carrots on top!
(yes, yes, okay. enough applause. Thank you.)

So I proudly trotted it in there yesterday. Matt was slightly annoyed because I used our Tupperware cake transporter thingie; we figured we'd never see it again as a result, but I couldn't find anything that would get the cake there, and back to someone's house without the cake being smashed. He joked that I'd have to buy it back myself.

I was late this morning. My usual motivation for getting into town in a timely manner -- the aforementioned Matt -- is going to West Virginia with his brother to visit his dad and help him work on some crappy rental houses he owns. Here's hoping his dad sells them, so the guilt trips can end about Matt coming to help with them. But that's the wild optimist in me. Anyhow, Matt will be gone until Monday night, so I dorked around, wrapping gifts and such, and Lizzy and I left about an hour later than usual.

We arrived at day care about a half-hour into the bake sale. To my surprise and delight, the ladies had sliced up the cakes and were selling the pieces for $1. Yay! I'll get my Tupperware back! And, I could contribute a few dollars toward the cause. I HAD to buy a piece of the carrot cake to make sure it was fit for consumption by paying customers. And I basically bought whatever else wasn't chocolate. (I'm not a fan of chocolate cake.)

I just had a midmorning snack of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, and my trusty Starbucks drip coffee. Ahhh! Can't wait for my post-lunch dessert of velvet cake. Or perhaps the pumpkin muffin.

And then there's the Sunday night cookie exchange with some ladies from church...
I'd better set aside some time this weekend to shop for bigger pants. :)

2 comments:

  1. All holiday sweets are calorie free ... because you use so much energy shopping.

    I'm totally serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:25 PM EST

    It's kind of strange, but it usually turns out that a person is either a baker or a cook. There are some bakers who are good cooks, but it's almost like they're good bakers who apply themselves to ccoking.

    ReplyDelete