Wednesday, December 20, 2006

perhaps I'm not learning the lesson

Last night, we swung by Target to shop with a little friend of ours (a human one). Another little friend -- the aforementioned Chocolate, the pretend lizard -- also went with us.

I try to keep Lizzy's toys in the car when we're out and about. I'm afraid we'll lose them. Sadly, Chocolate went the way of pretend lizards last night. One minute, she was sitting on a seat next to the girls (in one of those gigantic carts in which your kid can sit on the outside, but which are impossible to navigate, especially through holiday shopping traffic) -- the next, she was gone. I think I did three complete sweeps of the store last night, and bugged the lost-and-found folks three other times. To no avail. Chocolate, too, is no more.

I took the lost-and-found number so I could bother the people further the next day, and went sadly home. Lizzy, probably giddy in the presence of a rare weeknight friend outing, didn't seem that bummed. I, on the other hand, actually cried at one point.

As soon as we got home -- as soon as we got home and I could pry Matt off of e-mail and YouTube -- I checked eBay. I'm not sure if eBay is my best friend, or worst enemy, for this, but it seems that the reign of Chocolate is not to end this night. For, lo! There she is, in different body but same spirit, shipping speedily to us via a 'Buy It Now' one-click from heaven only knows where.

Now -- to get my daughter to buy the switcheroo.

2 comments:

  1. I am oh so paranoid about the thought of losing a favorite toy in a store. Sometimes I keep non-favorites in the car so if Sophie wants to carry something in to a store they can go. But our beloved Lamby and Hedgehog pretty much only get in the car for grandma's house. Every once in a while thought, they sneak in unbeknownst to me. I'd be crying too if it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. doh - typo there! :) I'm becoming the champion of typos lately. Pregnant brain.

    ReplyDelete