Monday, December 18, 2006

the weekend

Things I experienced this weekend that made my gut hurt:


* Not one -- oh, no! -- TWO rounds of chili taste-testing. I thought I was already ill, but Matt pointed out that we sampled 13 varieties of chili this weekend. Hurl. When I look back on it, I realize that I ate little else. (and the copious amounts of cheap candy consumed whilst decorating gingerbread houses with two of my favorite Elizabeths doesn't count. I'm talking nutritional value, here.)



* A priceless moment Friday night: We received a card in the mail from a certain production company that provides music for weddings and group events. Matt said, "What -- do they want more money?" "Nope," I said, shaking my head and rolling my eyes. "It's a Christmas card!"

Then I checked our phone for messages. No WAY. One message -- from said production company, calling to see if we were planning to settle up our account. The timing was priceless. Or, I should say -- the timing had a very specific, large price tag attached. Matt and I looked at each other dumbly, mouths agape. "Didn't YOU send them a check?" we both asked each other. "No. ... Oh."
Oh, well.

Things that made me feel incredibly happy and loved:

* Our church's Christmas party and chili cookoff and gingerbread house-building contest. Really fun! The second annual I've been to. A real highlight of the year.

* Not one, but TWO talented painter friends unexpectedly giving me original works of art that they'd created as wedding gifts. (if you give me license to include today in 'this weekend'.) I am in awe of the talent and thoughtfulness and love expressed in those who would create an entire quilt -- or an entire painting -- for us. Unreal. I was touched by every gift we got -- and the sentiments they expressed -- but absolutely overwhelmed by those. Truth be told, the best gifts were the effort made by people to be there to share the day with us. But I'm still pretty wowed at the moment by the other stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment