Tuesday, September 26, 2006

wedding advice

It is now time, ladies and gents, for Last-Minute Words O' Wisdom. Your opportunity to tell me what I should really, really know days before -- or days of -- or even days after? -- a wedding. My wedding, anyway.

The big favorites, which means they're probably quite sage, are:

I. When you get to that day, Just Relax.
a) Delegate everything to someone else. Don't leave yourself ANYTHING to worry about.
b) If something goes wrong, you
1. Won't care, or
2. It'll just make a better story, down the road.
II. Soak it all in. Do your best to, anyway.
III. Eat something. It'll be hard to find a chance (not sure why this is, but all marrieds say it's true)
IV. Get as much sleep as possible the night before.

That's all I can remember at the moment. Anyone got anything else? Or funny stories about what went wrong for you? (or have I already solicited those? Yeah, I think I did. Well, tell me again.) :)
I heard from a friend the other day who forgot to carry her bouquet down the aisle. The photographer thrust it into her hands in time for the last few photos afterward! It's funny, the things that can go "wrong." But, as I say I've heard, usually not a big deal, in the end.

Experiences like this -- big life experiences, which some have had and others haven't -- remind me of the advice I got for pregnancy/labor/motherhood in advance. It's nice to have friends who have "gone before," who can help. And it's fun, on the flip side, to have another way to relate to them. More common ground.

5 comments:

  1. As long as you're married at the end of the day, nothing else matters.

    That's my very best advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you're so chilled anyway, you're going to breeze through wedding day stress. It's true that you won't have a minute to eat anything at the reception. Between glasses clinking to tell you to kiss Matt and guests coming to congratulate you, you'll experience putting down many forkfuls of food that almost made it past your lips. Then it's time to dance and cut the cake and throw the bouquet and say goodbye to everyone and you get back to the hotel and have to order Thai food because you're starving! Or, that's what I did, anway. :) Sorry we won't be there to see you in person. Send pictures! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 AM EDT

    Hi kate, we're so looking forward to celebrating with you this weekend. My advice? Enjoy yourself and everyone else will, too. (And try to eat so that you have the energy to enjoy yourself!)
    I was wondering if you could tell me how long the reception is scheduled to last. . . trying to arrange babysitting. You can email me. Thx. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you're having a buffet, but with ours, the caterers served us plates before opening up the line, so we were able to eat while everyone was standing in line. Also, we had a plate of sandwiches in the girls dressing room before the ceremony, which was nice for the bridesmaids, but I think I was too nervous to eat then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:21 PM EDT

    Make sure to carry your flowers low- I was nervous and held my flowers up too high- all the pictures are of my flowers rather than the dress. so if you LOVE your dress...and i think you do...make sure we can all see it, and especially that the photographer can see it- over the flowers.

    ReplyDelete