Friday, September 08, 2006

second

Last night, Matt and I stayed up 'til nearly 2 a.m. addressing and stuffing envelopes for our second reception. The one at my aunt's house in Chehalis, Washington, the weekend after the wedding/reception here. The one I really couldn't give a flip about, in all honesty. (Sorry, Aunt Donna! Sorry, Aunt Ronni! Don't take it personally.) I just don't have the capacity to care about more than a certain amount of stuff at any given time, y'know? At least, a certain amount of the same category of stuff. I can still be horrified by the situation in Darfur, and saddened for the panda that crushed her baby, and that sort of thing. But as far as wedding-related crap goes, my angst is all used up just now.

And I am more tired than I have been in some time today. Getting "only" five hours of sleep is not that big a deal, I know! Some of you might be dreaming of the day when "only" five hours' sleep is an anomaly in your sleep schedule. I hear ya. But for some reason, it's really throwing me today. My brain is a dense fog. Basic functions are mostly okay, but any kind of reasoning or calculation is totally blown. (hey! Built-in excuse for boring, non-linear blog post! Sweet.)

We labored and labored on those darned things. Lizzy came downstairs, wanting attention, at 11:15. That didn't help. And embossing the seals at 1:30 a.m. was a bit beyond ridiculous, but I've already put them off for too long. When else are these things going to get done? Poor Matt had been up that late, or later, the two nights prior for a huge report he's compiling for work. I don't know how he does it. I have no idea.

I carried the first round of invitations with me to the post office that first morning in a fancy little bag. I handed them carefully to a postal employee to hand-stamp, and so they wouldn't get 'bruised' any more than they had to. This morning, I hauled them in a grocery bag-type thingie, and heaved them all through the letters slot. 'So long!' I thought. 'Good riddance! I should've sent you weeks ago. Get outta here.'

One bit of good news at the post office -- they finally had Superhero stamps! I have been checking for those for a month and a half now. Always sold out. Who knew there were all those geeks out there. And, when will they think to issue Star Trek stamps, darnit? C'mon, now!

In better news, we have a 'first wedding reception' tasting next Saturday (a week from tomorrow). Nothing like the last minute! I hear it'll be the only time I get to taste reception food, because no bride and groom have time to eat their own reception food, or something? So next Saturday, I'll endeavor to savor every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment