Thursday, September 21, 2006

regularly scheduled programming

These days, I feel almost like I can do all my expressing by merely linking to friends' blogs. Case in point, Dottie's latest post. About the ridiculous and the sublime, all rolled into one's day. And one's blog. Because, you know, that's life. I guess.

Monday was one seriously weird day. Matt and I took the day off, and dropped off Lizzy -- who knew, somehow, that something was afoot, and wanted to come with us, but we didn't really want to deal with all that. So, we left her screaming for us at the day care. At least Matt garnered a greater appreciation for some of my mornings. Then we grabbed a quick coffee, and an almost quicker marriage license. (ya know, we figured -- hey! Why not. Might as well take care of the very most vital part of the wedding prep.) We had been told that it would be the easiest part of getting married. And, lo! So it was. We walked up to the window, filled out our paper, forked over 30 bucks, and that was that. As the lady's typing the info. into her computer, she says, "When are you getting married? Today?" Our jaws dropped a little. "Uh..." we said. "Can you DO that?" Matt asked. "Sure!" the lady said. "Just go down to the next building, pay them 80 dollars, and it's done." Don't think we weren't tempted, a little. I was doing a bit of mental calculation regarding how many dresses had been purchased, deposits had been put down, and ... naaaah. We'll just push through, as planned.

in case you can't tell, I'm joking. we did know about the elopement option, and were, in fact, tempted, but we decided to do it the long, painful, expensive way instead. Good times!

We then tackled the prenup. I had taken two copies to a notary public and had them signed, but we needed FOUR, so we might just as well start from scratch, with a copy that spells my name correctly, and has my (really, our) house listed as being worth a few hundred thousand, instead of a few hundred. Details!
So that's done. And when I say done? I mean, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist, and never did. Matt and I did have a great (meaning, somewhat heated and emotional, but very honest and productive) conversation about why he's not high on counseling. Feel free to ask me another time, if you're curious. It's not really blog fodder, though.

THEN we went to the funeral. I actually told Matt in the car beforehand: I grieve in weird ways. Usually, by not reacting until bits come out much later. Just rolling things around in my head. Don't be surprised if I don't cry. Then I cried buckets. So did he. How could you not? Besides the obviously painful subject matter, and the incredibly dear friends involved, our church does an excruciatingly (in this case) good job at planning these sorts of things. Wedding, funeral, whatever. Our church planners will knock it out of the ballpark. The committee should hire itself out.
It was lovely, and awful, and so, so sad. But, as Matt said in a word -- cathartic.
Rest in peace, Will. You were well and truly loved. I look forward to meeting you one day. On a better occasion, in a much better place.

My eyes hurt for the entire next day. I have not cried like that, maybe ever.

Over the past few days, we've gotten almost everything done in preparation for the wedding. Hooray! Met with DJ, check (I tell you now, you Rod Stewart, AC/DC and Billy Idol fans are out of luck. I've blacklisted them for my own personal reasons, unless they're requested. but you motown and funk fans will be in heaven); I talked to the pastor on the phone; I tell you, it's just about all done. Lizzy's dress hasn't arrived yet, but I'm assured it will, "by Monday, at the latest." Then the lady proceeded to tell me a ripping tale about a customer of hers whose flower girl's dress didn't get to her until THE DAY OF THE WEDDING. Just to boost my confidence in her, maybe.
Oh! Saturday last, we had a tasting at the reception joint. Mmm MMMMM, their food is good. Matt and Lizzy wandered over to the church next door and introduced themselves as part of the wedding party for the Sept. 30 wedding. The lady running the jumble sale or whatever they had going on over there said, "We don't have a wedding scheduled that day!" (insert sound of Kate hitting floor when this story was being relayed to me.) At least they hadn't scheduled someone else. So we've now sent our deposit check in. Money seems to talk to the keepers of schedules. It's all figured out now. I hope.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT????

    In my book, a wedding reception at which "You Shook Me All Night Long" is not played is not a wedding reception at all. Please tell me that "Love Shack" will be played at least. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Shack is, I believe, on the must-play list. Reason being: Well, besides the fact that I adore the B-52s, especially that album ... the song came out when I was in college (yes, Schuyler, I AM old), and not high school. You see, in high school, I was in athletics year-round, which, if we were to have any competition, meant that we had to travel elsewhere to play games sometimes. Since you're at least passingly familiar with the distances that were involved, let me just say that our average away-game drive was two hours. Each way. In a big yellow bus. Full of screaming, crazy, loud music-loving maniacal teenage girls who had very different musical tastes than I did. I have visceral reactions to forced hearings of certain songs. This will not be happening on my wedding day.
    If anyone MUST have "Forever Young," I suppose they may.
    Also, added benefit -- Matt's mom LOVES Rod Stewart. At least, she did last I heard. You never really can tell.
    Van Halen and Def Leppard are also quite acceptable.

    ReplyDelete