Monday, September 11, 2006

a retrospective observation, on the occasion of 9/11

What strikes me most about how the world 'changed,' or at least acted differently for a few days, was how kind people were to each other. For a week or so, I don't know that I observed one single rude or blatantly self-important act. Even on the metro! It truly stood out as a singular week.

I seem to recall stories -- I wish I had saved them, they seem so hysterical to me now -- wondering if 9/11 marked "the death of cynicism." My friends, cynicism is not dead. If anything, it's more rampant and callous. I blame the Internet somewhat. I saw a super funny story today, written by a humor columnist, about her paranoia of ever having anyone over to her home again. What if someone takes a photo of her messy kitchen and posts it on the Internet? What if someone catches her on tape, yelling at her kids, (which apparently she did to her own mother years ago, on audiotape) and posts it on YouTube? Or blogs about her shortcomings of hospitality? I loved it. I wonder the same -- to what lengths will our greater ability to spread negativity extend?
Perhaps where negativity can more easily go, so can posivitity. It's just harder to make it funny, most of the time. Maybe that's our problem. Or maybe we're all just incredibly spoiled, in general.

(and, of course, I'm not talking about the people I know of who read this blog. I am utterly blessed with very positive, generous, gracious friends. Please know that I know that!)

Don't you love people who complain about people who complain? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment