Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Panera panic

I usually keep a pretty close eye on the Lizzard -- it helps that she usually surgically attaches herself to my leg or arm -- but Matt and I really blew it last night.
We had a startlingly successful attempt at getting to Manassas in time to get the car's oil changed at Jiffy Lube before they closed at 7. I believe we arrived at about 6:47, and they were done by 6:58. And the engine hasn't blown up yet, or anything. Amazing. Beats waiting in line for an hour and a half on a Saturday.
So then we decided we'd stay 'out', grab something semi-healthy to eat at Panera (yummy!), and get wee Liz some fall wardrobey stuff at Old Navy. She's still scratching the bug bites she attracted at the Shire, a week ago. Poor babe. (WHY DID I NOT THINK to take mosquito repellent wipes...) So I want to at least put her in some long pants so it doesn't look like she has a welty disease.
But first, Panera. She orders her oh-so-healthy pb&j Panera meal (she slurped up half of Daddy's mushroom bisque, too, so there was a modicum of balance to the meal), and we got whatever. Soon, because she can't sit down for more than, oh, 147 consecutive seconds, she wanted to go Potty. With Daddy! This was a switch. We figured Panera men's room potties could probably be trusted (I wouldn't say that most places). So off they trot, Daddy and Lizzy. I stuffed a few uninterrupted bites of sandwich in my mouth, then thought, hey! I'll cut next door to CVS to see if they have our apple juice boxes. We are at a point in our development where we CANNOT BE WITHOUT apple (or fruit punch, but NOT berry) juice boxes.

I go. CVS has desired product! I jet back to Panera. I trot to the table, where no one has cleared our half-eaten meals. This is good. I see Matt refilling his drink at the drink bar area, and walk over, expecting to see Lizzy. No Liz. I then realize there's a loud wailing coming from the vicinity of the women's bathroom. Matt looks at me with confusion, then we both gape at each other in horror. Turns out, when Daddy and Lizzy returned to the empty table, Lizzy wanted to go "find" me. Matt thought she'd actually seen me head into the bathroom, somehow, so he opened the door for her. So she was standing in the otherwise empty facility, wailing for me, unable to get back out the heavy door...
*** MOMMY GUILT ***
But a few minutes later, she was making fun of the episode. I think she's okay. And we showered her with an obscene number of clothing items from Old Navy, so I think all has been forgiven. (it was her first time utilizing the dressing room! Boy did she get a kick out of that.)
There's not much that's cuter than wee ones in overalls. Not too much, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment