Wednesday, November 02, 2005

this morning

Scene: The dining room. Lizzy's eating a bowl of cereal, after sitting and waiting for it to get 'soggy.' Matt sits at table, putting on shoes and socks. Kate stands in doorway. Matt and Kate seem a bit agitated, as they are a good half-hour late. Lizzy lingers over her meal.

KATE: (kisses Lizzy on newly, and adorably, shorn head)

LIZZY: Don't kiss me!

KATE: Big girls can have kisses! Daddy kisses Mommy sometimes.

LIZZY: But, no. I'm a big girl. I'm not a baby any more. Don't kiss me.
(turns back to cereal)

KATE: (Crumples in sobbing heap)

Well, okay -- not really. Instead, I fantasized about the day I'll have another little baby, and I'll shower its chubby, oblivious little self with kisses, whilst Lizzy clings to my leg, desperate for attention...
WAAHAAHAAAA.

(Dee -- feel free to remind me that that scenario is actually not all that fun! Or, better yet, let me borrow your baby for a bit so I have another little someone to kiss...)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth went through the "I'm to big to be kissed" phase. But luckily she out grew it and now she loves to kiss and cuddle again. Maybe Lizzy will, too.

    (This is so sad I have to admit it just for the laugh value, but I deleted my first post because I mis-spelled Lizzy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LightGirl is now going through this phase. Only I think it's permanent with her as she is almost 12.

    On the other hand, one of the best tools I ever had for dealing with a three year old was reverse psychology. But you should really only use it for times when you really, really need her to do something. I think you probably have to respect her personal space issues. Which kind of stinks on the mom side of things.

    Which is all to say ... I feel for you. I really do.

    And ... really ... go hold Keenan when you need a babby cuddle fix. One is one. Two is ten. Seriously. (Stacy, you didn't see that. It won't be that way for you, cause you're getting both at once ... but for those of us who get them one at a time it works that way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, yeah, the kissing Keenan part is great. Unfortunately, Ethan doesn't express his need for extra attention by matter-of-factly stating "I feel a little lonely right now. I could use some of your time and a hug and a kiss." No, instead he seems to do things like hit anything within range, make loud screeching noises just for fun and jump on to and off of every piece of furniture in the house. It's really adorable. Ha.

    As far as one being one and two being ten, I think it really depends upon the personalities of your kids. At this point I would say one is five and two is seven (whatever that means - I don't even get it). The point is, adding Keenan has not been nearly as much work as I thought it would be. Remember, Sonja had John second. I had Ethan first. 'Nuf said.

    Twins? I don't know... I've heard both extremes, so I guess that's probably personality driven too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad always misspells Lizzy. (the same way) I didn't even notice, actually!
    I LOVE reverse psychology... If I haven't mentioned it before, my fave manipulative trick, which won't work forever, is the "Okay, Lizzy! Well, we'll see you tomorrow/next week" as if we're truly leaving her if she doesn't want to leave a place. So far, it works every time.
    (though it probably wouldn't work at Dee's. Ethan is too much of a draw... I'll have to concoct a different plan for visits there.)

    ReplyDelete