Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Random shots fired today at Linusletters

These things individually aren't that worthy of mention, but because -- hey! -- my life's rather boring these days, I'll put 'em down for lack of anything better to do. (I LOVE Wed. afternoons! We've sent our weekly magazine, and I'm left to, um, get right to work on the next one. Or, alternatively, surf televisionwithoutpity.com, or my friends' blogs, or local real estate, or whatever.)

This morning, as I got on the metro and positioned myself -- you know, staked out my territory; not too far inside the door (by the time I get on the metro, at Rosslyn, there's either no need to pack into the middle, or folks already are packed in) and usually standing -- another guy got on and leaned on the pole in front of me. Which, as you metro veterans know, is quite rude when there are others standing and needing to grasp poles. Sometimes, when I feel like messing with people, the passive-aggressive maneuvers are best. So I rammed my fingers -- seriously, as gently as possible -- around the pole. So he was then leaning on my fingers. Occasionally, at stops, I would remove my hand in order to turn a page of the newspaper I was holding with the other hand. Then I'd repeat the hand replacement procedure. It was hilarious, how we were both pretending to completely ignore the other, holding our ground. I was so into it that I missed my stop and got out one past where I usually do.

Mike's toy dog in Home Depot comments reminded me of something that came to my attention today that has to be one of the biggest wastes of money, EVER. Now, for the record, I think iPods and their ilk are pretty cool. I don't own one, but mostly because I don't want to bother with it, and I generally like to hear what's going on around me far more than creating my own little bubble of "MY!" music. But, I bear personal music-type people no ill will. It's all good.
And, those wee outfits now being sold for your iPod to wear -- though cute -- might, just might, be going too far.



However, in my humble estimation, this is going waaaay too far...
Yes, my friends, this is an iDog. It comes in different colors -- white or black -- for "YOUR!" unique expression. So, when your iPod gets tired of its wee, precious outfits, you can put it on this toy robot dog, which will then dance, bark, do your dishes, whatever to the beat of your tuneage.
Does he look cold to you? Why, cover him up with an outfit of his very own! It comes in pink, purple or black! (I wonder why these outfits seem to be skewed to women... hmmm... Don't they think the menfolk will be rushing to this product?
And, if you grow weary of watching the tiny, trendily clothed mutt boogie-woogie, and wish (ye gads!) to transport him somewhere -- Home Depot, perhaps? -- you can put him in this.



So you see, Mike, it really, really could be worse.
Or -- would this give you MORE cred at Home Depot?
It just amazes me what people will waste money on.

So, with irony not lost on me, on to my third point -- how much money I freely give to Starbucks for a product that probably costs them about 13 cents to produce...

My dentist is awesome. When I refer new customers to him, he gives me stuff! The first time, it was four free movie tickets. This time (which was Lizzy -- c'mon! Like I deserve something for THAT), he gave me a $20 Starbucks card! It's been two coffees a day ever since. WOO! WOO! WOO!!! He must know me rather well. Next, it'll be a coffee table book about travels in Europe, perhaps, or scrapbooking supply vouchers, or free stuff at Barnes and Noble ... Ahhhh, I'm so easy. ;)

1 comment:

  1. there are entirely too many contenders for most useless & tacky product award imho

    ReplyDelete