Wednesday, November 23, 2005

making it all worthwhile

As you might have inferred, I have been more frustrated than usual with Lizzy lately -- she seems to be engaging in extreme psychological warfare, and I just don't feel up to the task a lot of the time. And yet, I don't want to raise a pathologically manipulative monster. We women are good enough at that at times without being raised to be that way.

For instance, last night -- and again, I am to blame for allowing her to get away with this -- she wanted 'warm' milk. She used to want 'hot' milk before bedtime. Now it must be 'warm.' So, I adjust the seconds in the microwave accordingly. But last night, it wasn't the right warmth. It was too hot. So I put a wee bit of cold water in it. Still too hot. More cold water. Now it's too cold. A bit of hot water. (it was probably pretty gross by then, just from being watered down.) Now too hot... You get the point. After about the sixth adjustment, I said, "Lizzy, are you just playing with me? Trying to see what you can get away with?" "Yes," she said, and giggled. And then had the gall to say, "this milk is too cold!"
We'll have to work on that one. Or NOT work on it, rather.

I have to tell you what happened this morning, when I dropped her off at day care. It really made my month. The kiddos in Lizzy’s class made ‘Happy Thanksgiving’ cards for the parents with their handprints on the front that look like a turkey. (they were in their cubby shelves, waiting for us to take them home tonight.) The kids and teachers did a really good job, with a different color of paint on each turkey feather (finger). Inside, the teachers appear to have had the kids tell them what they were thankful for, so they could write it in for each kid. Lizzy's bright, but she's not quite writing yet...
Lizzy’s says, "I’m thankful for my mommy and daddy." I thought, oh, that’s nice. But I bet this is just what the teachers came up with. Then I looked at a card in the kid’s cubby next to Lizzy’s. It says, “I’m thankful for Legos.”

So she really DID say that! She is SUCH a doll.

If I don't get a chance to post again today, have a happy Thanksgiving, everyone (my friends and family). I am so grateful for you all -- especially this new church body. You have been such a blessing to me this year. I really appreciate you, and thank God for you daily. May your holiday be a blessed one.

2 comments:

  1. happy thanksgiving to you as well Kate. we enjoyed seeing a bit of lizzie's personality peek through last sunday. (love pete and jackie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy thanksgiving, Kate... I'm also thankful for Mars Hill the past year. But I get all sentimental this time of year, so I'll stop at that... haha... Happy Thanksgiving to Liz!

    ReplyDelete