Friday, November 18, 2005

Question(s) O' the Day

Here at Stars and Stripes -- the features section, specifically -- we run, in our weekly Scene magazine, a question of the week. I might have mentioned this before, but I'm hard of remembering.
In lieu of anything interesting to talk about today, I'd like to open it up to the audience. Here's a feedback question I think I'll ask our boys (and gals) overseas next time I'm making up a list of queries:

Have you ever had a vanity plate? If so, what was it?

And, if you were to create one now, what would it be?

I have not ever had one (expensive in Washington state, and I've been too lazy since I've been here), but I'll out Matt. He had one on his first car, in high school. It was "CUREFAN"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(in case I didn't make it clear, please answer the questions yourself!)

5 comments:

  1. I had one on my first car. The car was a 1966 Mustang given to me by my husband when I was 27. The vanity plate (also picked by my hubby) was FIFER1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one now - Lux Sit. There is an explanation of it here:

    http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1999/052599/NF2.factoid.html

    I like the meaning "Now that light exists, let it continue to exist."

    If you want a Harry Potter themed plate there are some ideas here:

    http://www.mugglenet.com/plates.shtml

    We saw a Virginia plate that said, "Oh Shat". How did they get that past the powers that be?

    Also, why are there so many vanity plates in Virginia? Do the people there have a lot to say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many vanity plates in VA because it only costs $10 extra to have one. I think it costs $25 for a regular plate and $35 for a vanity plate. At that price, why not go for it.

    The price changed to that right around the time that we got married. And a LOT of people put their initials on their plates. It was AWFULly cute. And it got under Ross' skin in the worst way for me to suggest that we get one. So of course, I used to make that suggestion fairly regularly. Here's what it would have looked like: RDA SNA. Which is part of the reason he hated the idea so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I even wanted a vanity plate until I saw the ones Cyan had for Myst. Riven & Uru..my favorite adventure games.

    Tried to get one with my last car but the good ones I thought up were all taken so I went image plate (old-timey ship) heh

    ReplyDelete
  5. D2X DT2 --> d2x/dt2

    read as "The Second Derivative of position 'X' with respect to the Derivative of 'Time' squared."

    a derivative is just a 'rate of change'. the rate of change of "x" (position -- think the x-axis on a graph) is written as dx/dt -- and is just speed. that's not hard to see. like miles per hour is speed.

    the rate of change of "speed" is acceleration, written as dv/dt -- thats not hard to see either. moving your gas pedal for short.

    so my plate just says "the rate of change of the rate of change of position" d2x/dt2 -- acceleration.

    kinda fun that no cop has yet commented on it. am i being smug?
    ok, so not many people get it -- one pretty geeky guy did this summer...

    anyone still here??? was there some kind of a luncheon ...

    ReplyDelete