Thursday, October 20, 2005

yawn

A few pet peeves:
* People who call you (the wrong number) and who don't even say, oh, sorry! when you answer and say, "What?" to their, "Is so-and-so there?" They merely hang up. Could I rate an acknowledgment, please, since you bothered me on MY PHONE?
* This is a lifelong one: People who, in essence, tell me to look happier. Especially those who use the word "smile!" or some form of sarcasm. Let's see, lady. I just sat through two totally boring, useless meetings, and I have a ton of work to do. No, I could NOT be expected to look happier. Sorry about that. No, actually, I'm NOT sorry about that. (This is the same lady, by the way, who twice screwed up my paycheck recently, and who loves to bounce through the newsroom on Friday afternoons saying, "It's almost the weekend! Aren't you glad it's the weekend?" when probably 90 percent or more of the newsroom works a alternate schedule -- not Monday through Friday. She's all tact.)
* Being tired at work. I think this is due to having company last weekend. Which I was happy to have. Except when they kept me up to almost midnight each night talking...
I liken having a small child to having once had lots of money in the bank, but I drained my account for most of a year a few years back, and have been doing okay living paycheck to paycheck ever since. However, if I have a sudden need, I am in (sleep) debt until I can repay it. Which is frequently never. Also to blame for tiredness: My child, who not only won't go to sleep before 10 p.m. recently, but who also refused to take a nap at day care yesterday. Our take-home note said, "Lizzy did not take a nap AT ALL," with the last two words underlined twice. Whoops.
I quizzed Lizzy about this. "Your teacher said you didn't take a nap today. Were you not tired?" "No," (very solemnly). "Don't you like to sleep?" (I know this answer all too well.) "I don't like to sleep, but I really really like to wake up!" she says cheerily. Ooookay. The logic of an almost-3-year-old.
On a positive note. We got Lizzy's school photos back yesterday. Dang, I wish I had a scanner.

5 comments:

  1. I've got an extra scanner... want it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hate when people tell me to look happier. This happens to me a lot because my face looks sad when relaxed, my mouth just happens to turn down. I hate it especially when some stranger on the street says, "smile", how does he know that something horrible didn't just happen to me? And then, when it's someone you know, why don't they ask you why you're sad (some do of course) instead of telling you to fake some happiness? It's a pet peeve of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add about that old gem, "why don't you smile? you look so much prettier when you smile." Urgh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:12 AM EDT

    I get that too... "What's wrong?"
    "nothing."
    "Are you sure? Because you look so... serious."
    "This is just how my face looks in the 'at rest' position."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Israel! You're so sweet. It would probably be yet another thing I would fail to ever plug in and use. I should have said it this way: "I wish I were the tech-minded type who made good use of all the technology available." :)
    Maggie -- you are SO right. "You have such a pretty smile! Why don't you use it more?" Yeah. NOW I want to smile. While I punch you.

    ReplyDelete