Tuesday, October 04, 2005

then again, maybe Cinderella's not so bad

FYI, for those who don't know -- I don't read Potter. But I do see the movies. I know a lot of you really like Potterdom. And I am not against it. I reserve judgment until I actually read the books for myself. Just trying to stir things up a little. Comments totally, totally welcome.
If anyone doubts this report, by the way, cruise through the kids' and teen sections of any bookstore these days. Chicken soup for the young witch's soul, etc.
This last paragraph is my especial favorite.

NEW YORK (Wireless Flash) -- College can be a magical time in life, and the best way to ensure academic success may be if the student practices witchcraft.
That's the spellbinding news from Jason Louv, author of "Generation Hex" (Disinformation), a book that discusses the growing number of teenage witches introduced into the "craft" by "Harry Potter" novels.
Louv says magic is a discipline like martial arts and says teens who practice it learn to focus on a task until it's complete -- a skill that pays off big in college.
Kid magicians are also more likely to appreciate history, literature and science.
At first, most teenage witches try superficial spells like making a teacher give them an "A" they don't deserve or tricking someone into going out with them, but Louv promises, "after a while, the kids will ask themselves what they really want out of it."
But while there are numerous benefits to having your teen be a witch, Louv warns parents not to push it on them because kids never do anything their parents ask. In his words, "You have to let them discover it themselves."

4 comments:

  1. hmm... let my child be a witch? Seems kinda romantic and powerful at the same time. Seductive? Harmless? Not sure... but it seems the Mars Hill group is generally unphased by the Harry Potter books. But if my child was mutilating animals and given to power struggles and witchcraft becam an escapist method of dealing with bullying... I think I would intervene and teach them about the psycological and escapist ramifications of coping with pain through trickery and spells. But maybe it would just be a harmless phase. What do I know? I'm not a parent! I'm really a kid, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, so you're one of those crazies, huh kate? Harry Potter is Satan etc, etc. BTW, books such as chicken soup for the witches soul do not cater to girls who actually think that they are witches. Many of the fans call themselves witches or wizards without trying to cast spells and such. I think it is very similar to little girls being princesses. They know it's pretend, at least most of them do. I know a lot of Potter fans and none of the ones I know think that they are witches or wizards, even if they call themselves such sometimes. Actual witches and wizards would definately be a fringe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSS! I've been waiting for you to respond, Maggie. Sonja gets a pass only because she's at the beach. Hee!
    Like I said, I don't know what to think. I don't read the books at this point because a) I fear anything addictive (the time would be drawn from my sleeping hours), and b) I have a friend who is OB-SESSED with them and it kinda puts me off. I am going to let Rowling run her course before I dive in.
    But I did want the reactions of readers whose opinions I trust to that article! Thanks.
    And, it's just fun to be incendiary sometimes.
    I'm actually a huge fan of the Oz books -- which also dealt a lot with magic. In a different way, I hear, but still. Magic, a large element.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing about the Harry Potter books, is that they are not really about magic. They are about 3 kids. The kids just happen to be magical. That's why their appeal is so great. I didn't read the books at first. My husband and sister really liked them and I trust their judgement, but I'm not really into fantasy and their popularity really turned me off. I didn't want to be another one of those people. but, I got over myself and started reading them and they are really good. JKR is just a really good writer. She doesn't talk down to children or shy away from more adolescent topics as the kids grow. Anyway, this is a really long comment that boils down to the Harry Potter books are good. I can't wait to read Sonja's reaction when she gets back. Also, I wasn't mad about your post;)

    ReplyDelete