Tuesday, October 04, 2005

mostly pointless quiz Tuesday

This quiz is in honor of Brickdude, because he addressed dorkiness in his last blog entry, and because he previously mocked those who posted quizzes on their site. Heh.
Addressing the age-old question of "what's the difference between nerd, dork and geek, and which one are you?" Because it's a hard truth that everyone should know about themselves.
If you're curious, I'm Pure Nerd. Oh, great. Which, I think, means I like to learn, but I'm not a total social misfit, and I'm definitely not into technology and such. Though I kinda wish I were -- handy knowledge. I guess my affinity for Star Trek didn't boost me into geekdom. (I don't speak Klingon, Elvish or Esperanto. Something to work on.)

According to this quiz, here are the differences, for your edification:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.

2 comments:

  1. Pure nerd here too, but I already knew that, and Maggie already took me to task for incorrect usage of the word dork. Also, I defy you to find when I ever maligned the posting of quizzes to one's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omigosh. That is totally true. I was thinking of your Aug. 31 entry, but you do NOT mention quizzes. Unless you went back and edited it. But I'll give you credit enough to believe you didn't.
    Though now that I think about it -- surely that graph has to include people who post quizzes. I have a coworker who does nothing but talk about her reactions to the latest Harry Potter book, or the tv show she watched last night, or post quizzes and how she scored on them.
    So maybe I was projecting my own attitudes about posting quizzes. Whoops. My apologies.
    And, Maggie rocks. ;)

    ReplyDelete