Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Theological debate between 4-year-olds

It's always fascinating to hear what that little brain will spit out next.
This morning, on our way in on Hwy. 66, Lizzy says:

"My friend Erin said that God told us to be friends with everyone.
"But I told her, No -- God just tells us to love everybody.
(pause to gauge Mommy's reaction)
"I think I'm right."

Granted, there are subtleties here that I would have plumbed, had she been a little older. But I think I know what this stems from. Lizzy's in a class with kids who are almost a year younger than herself, in most cases, and a year makes a big difference at that age. She's been telling me about a little girl who apparently trails along after her, wanting to do whatever Lizzy does and always asking if she's Lizzy's friend. (not Erin; a smaller girl. Erin's one day younger than Lizzy.)
Matt and I have been counseling Lizzy to tell the poor girl that, yes, she's Lizzy's friend. I'd prefer to say, look, just be decent to her, okay? Just be nice. Friend is an important distinction to give someone, I think. Not to be given too lightly. But, she's barely four. I don't think she quite grasps the difference. So -- just tell her she's your friend, Lizzy. Just give her that happiness.

What I did say: "Well, Lizzy, maybe you were both right. Maybe when God says to love everyone, He means to be everyone's friend."
"Oh," said Lizzy. "Maybe so."

What does it mean to a 4-year-old, to be someone's friend? What does it mean to a 35-year-old?

It's interesting to see Lizzy pondering God's love, and what He asks of us, in the same ways that I do. I often don't think I know much more than she does -- sometimes, I'm convinced I know less. She's always ready with a hug when someone's not feeling well; when someone's feelings have been hurt, or they're having a bad day. (unless she caused it and she's mad at that person, and that's another story.) I usually feel helpless when someone's hurting. It seems like I've known a fair number of folks who have been hurting incredibly deeply lately. I pray, but it seems ... it seems like not enough. And, what should I say? Something that sounds, even to my ears, trite and unhelpful? Or nothing? It's not like I can change things. Not these sorts of things. But when I just sit or stand there, I feel so useless. Like it looks like I don't care. But when I've never been through what they've been through, what do I have to offer?

God, please teach Lizzy and me to love other people really well. Those we like, and those we don't. Because You did say to love everyone. Help us know what that looks like. I often don't have any idea. And sometimes I do, but it's really hard. Please help us overcome our selfish natures. Teach us to be better reflections of you. Help me to do the things I tell Lizzy she should do. To practice what I preach.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, what a beautiful post. I can relate to Lizzy's dilemma. I've been involuntarily befriended and I don't think I've been as generous as I should have been, especially when I look at the situation with the heart expressed in your prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for letting me trail along behind you, Kate.

    whether we're 4 or 35, words can be overrated, I think.

    ReplyDelete