Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lizzy pincushion

The shots heard 'round the clinic...

Lizzy had her 4-year-old doc checkup yesterday. No fun was had by all. I usually try to mentally prepare her for things -- told her about it two weeks ago -- but the panicky reaction I got prompted me to let it drop until yesterday morning. And I didn't really go into the shot portion until the nurse came in with the needles. Shots just stink. I told Lizzy: No one likes them. Not even grown-ups! Shots are no fun.
She ended up getting five. One flu, and four others that have acronyms of uncertain origin. Poor baby. She cried, "Take it out! Take it back out!" each time the nurse stuck her. I cannot imagine how their little bodies can handle fighting off five (or more; some shots are combined) separate germies at once. It's amazing.
She's doing fine today, but she smells kinda funny. Maybe it's the new shampoo. She will very animatedly tell you all about her shots, how many, etc., if you ask her. She's fixated on the fact that (told us by the nurse) she will be getting shots again when she's age 12. The nurse and I figured this would sound like a long time off. Not for Lizzy. For her, it's horrifying, the thought of having more shots! In EIGHT YEARS, darling. We got into an elevator this morning on our way to day care. The building is 12 stories high. She pointed at the button for the 12th floor, and said, "That's how old I'll be when I get shots again." Yeesh.

In other Lizzy health news, the doc couldn't see one of her ear tubes. AGAIN. Well, she did have a bad cold a week or two ago, so we're due for the inevitable ear infection. If I had a thousand bucks for each ear infection she's had in her lifetime, I might even be able to pay off our wedding debt! (oops, tmi.)
Could it be possible that she needs a third set of ear tubes? Please, Lord, no. I've heard of other kids who had five or seven sets. WHAT ... Incredible. With each passing germ, I keep hoping that means it's one less that she'll have later in life. I have no idea if that germ ideology is true, but it makes me feel a little better.

Thank goodness that ear infections and colds are the worst of her problems, though. We are truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment