Wednesday, November 15, 2006

the next generation

I realize that I've been blogging about nothing but Lizzy witticisms lately. And, that sort of sucks. But maybe it's better than no blogging at all? (since you're reading this, I assume you agree.)

Matt's eager to establish a family tradition of selecting one Hallmark ornament per person for our tree each year. Our poor little tree (yet to be purchased this year, which I would hope is obvious -- I will unreservedly call you nuts if you have your tree up already, unless you are a department store, and then I sigh and say, well, I'm used to it from you -- but NO CAROLS until after Thanksgiving) is already heavily laden with Kathe Wohlfahrt goodies collected on my many trips to Germany's uber-touristy Rothenburg. We're going to have to buy progressively bigger and bigger trees. Yes, we COULD refrain from putting them ALL on the tree, but what fun is that?

We were passing through Manassas Mall last night -- always a frightening venture -- and saw that the Hallmark store had its ornaments out. Hooray! So, we checked them out. Did a little prep work to let our potential selections simmer in the backs of our brains before making a final, irrevocable choice -- The Ornament of '06.


Matt and I always teeter between our favorite pop culture crap -- for instance, I have soft spots for Star Trek, the Wizard of Oz and Raggedy Ann and Andy, and Hallmark seems intent on developing at least one new version of each of these annually -- and Matt digs the Star Wars, etc. But there are some lovely nostalgic ones, as well. And old favorites such as Snoopy and the gang. It's tough. You'd think Lizzy would have the toughest time, but she settled decidedly on a really cute one -- it's Dumbo, taking a bath.

I have one or two Trek ornaments already -- THEY WERE GIFTS, people -- but this year's is kind of awesome. As I was rooting around for the photo to show y'all, I noticed that it has shimmery lights! As if someone is actually being transported! Ooooh cool!!!!!
The version in the Hallmark store originally had three people standing on the transporter pad, but the middle dude had been broken off at the shins. Looks like a messy transporter accident, or maybe an officer ran afoul of the Klingon mafia. Nevertheless, Lizzy thought it was cool.

"Look, Mom!" she said, excitedly. "It's the Wiggles!"
Aiiieeeee. They DO look like the Wiggles. Why has this never occurred to me ... Now I feel even worse about my love of things ST:TNG.

(and tomorrow, if blogger feels like adding the photo to this post, I shall show it to you. Drat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment