Monday, November 27, 2006

great weekend

I feel like I just had a vacation -- complete with, "Do I REALLY have to go to work tomorrow?" feeling as Sunday evening progressed. Such a lovely few days off.

It felt like a little break from the everydayness of life. We had zero social obligations. Don't get me wrong -- I love to do things and see friends, but I think Matt and I are still both doing the wedding detox thing. Perhaps I say that in each blog entry. I don't know. In any case, it felt so fresh to have a few days with nowhere to get to.

Matt's dad stayed with us for a couple of nights. Not long at all. We did Thanksgiving at Matt's uncle's house, as we have each year since Lizzy's been born. And maybe before that. It's really starting to feel like an annual event, anyway. I figure, since I can't be with my own family, I might as well feel good about having a tradition of some kind with someone's. (and, no, I'm still not at the point where I can embrace all of Matt's family as my own. Sorry. Just not there yet.) We ate a lot, we sat around some, then we left.

Matt and I kicked around the idea of doing a little midnight shopping that night. We heard a mall in Ashburn was opening at 12:01 a.m. for Black Friday. We don't really have much that we have to buy; it just sounded like an adventure. (and, yes, I feel slightly wicked and materialistic regarding all of this. Just so you know.) But we didn't end up doing it. I did get up at 5:30 and drive around at 6 a.m., just to see what folks were up to. The line at Best Buy when we drove by the night before (at about 9 p.m.) was unreal. People had lined up at STAPLES, for crying out loud, by the next morning. Crazy! What the hey do you buy at Staples that's worth getting up early for? Fire sale on office chairs? Rock-bottom prices on laser-printing paper? Baffling.
I went to Macy's and bought some stuff. I technically stood in line, because I arrived right at 6 a.m. and waited a good 20 seconds before the Macy's employee technically unlocked the door. She looked slightly alarmed to see the dozen of us who stood there, pointedly not forming a line. "It's cold out here!" she said. Really, it wasn't. But, okay. The employees in general looked a little shell-shocked to be there so early. It was kind of a hoot, I'll admit. I'd tell you what I bought, but then Matt might read it. Although, some might point out that I've given him enough surprises for one lifetime. :)

That evening, we ran some errands, ate at Pizzeria Uno (PIZZA TO DIE FOR, one way or another! My arteries are still feeling it), then tried to find the Centreville-area drive-through light show. We ended up going miles down a rutted dirt road. Oops. We caught it the next night. Pretty cool, I guess. Lizzy got a charge out of it. Though sometimes I wonder if she's kind of pretending to be excited, because we're pretending to be excited for her benefit. If you know what I mean.

That day, we took our annual drive into Old Town Alexandria to do a little shopping and walk along the pretty streets and see some pretty lights. I love it there. I've been there a billion times, and I love it each time. We're guaranteed to see 40 or 50 doggies with each visit, so we have Lizzy count. Keeps her occupied all evening. She talks about them nonstop for the rest of the night. I'd tell you what we bought there, too, but then my parents might read it.

And I had a new little Creative Memories adventure into the wee hours of Sunday night, but I can't really tell you about THAT, either. My (deleted reference to specific relatives) might read it.

Sheesh. Blogging around Christmastime sure is difficult.

1 comment:

  1. At church on Sunday, I worked with a guy who through the rest of the week is the manager of a Staples, and he said people were lined up at 2 a.m. I had the same question you had! (But I didn't ask out loud.)

    ReplyDelete