Wednesday, November 05, 2008

this 'n' that

I keep composing blog entries in my head, but never getting (or taking?) the opportunity to type them out. Your loss, people! Real award-winning material here. (yeah, right.)

I have to confess, I am so, so happy that the election is over. Not necessarily about the outcome. Then again, I wasn't a feverish devotee of anyone -- I never am -- and that, I think, is what made me so very VERY sick of this particular campaign. Because, you see, there was a RIGHT and a WRONG candidate. Even more so than usual! Of this, many, many loud people were absolutely certain. And you were an IDIOT if you did not see it THEIR WAY. This certainty gave them the right -- nay, the moral imperative! -- to flood my mailbox, and doorknob, with all manner of literature. (in fairness, both sides, in all races, did this. Profusely.) I just hope none of them were touting their care of the environment, because none of that stuff ever even made it into the house. Straight to the circular file in our driveway. And two or three groups of people (from the same side) visited our home. It was apparently the thing to do if you can't be satisfied with contributing just your one vote. You had to go out and "make a difference." Apparently, that's code for "bothering people in their homes." But I will say, it paid off for said busybodies. Their guy won Virginia, and not by a lot.
So, as I always do, I have quite mixed feelings about this outcome. Extreme relief that it's over, and strong curiosity about where it will all lead. I'm pretty sure it's not a politically paved road to the Promised Land, but I realize I'm in the minority by thinking that.

I had a scare this morning -- the nurse from Lizzy's school called me. I kind of outed Lizzy yesterday when I was at school for her parent/teacher conference. (which didn't inform me of a whole lot; it kind of reeked of 'obligatory meeting'.) I had a few extra minutes beforehand, so I popped into the front office to inquire about what to do if my kid had lice. BAH! Why do I do these things ... a lady chased me down the hall to ask who my daughter was, and I wouldn't tell her, and still, they somehow knew and plucked Lizzy out of class this morning to pick over her scalp. Miraculously, they found only one dead louse. So they packed her back off to class. Woo! Victory is OURS! We did a lice treatment on Sunday, but I didn't think it had worked, because Lizzy was still scratching Monday and Tuesday. I spent some time last night and this morning going through her hair for nits. Guess I got 'em all. Or else the nurse didn't look hard enough. Either way, YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Yesterday was unfortunate in another way (and I don't mean the election) -- one of my nightmares came true, and I forgot to take my breast pump to work. I'm not sure I can adequately 'express' (HA! breastfeeding humor!) the horrors of that situation. Let's just say, I worked only a half day, then got home, and pumped 9 1/2 oz. I'll also say this -- ouch.

In other postpartum fun, my hair's been falling out for about a month now. I find it everywhere. I've fished it out of poor Maddie's diaper a few times -- nothing like, er, flossing your newborn -- and she keeps grabbing it and getting it wrapped around her fingers. Naturally, the bathroom is a disaster area, where hair is concerned. I've always been weird about hair; once it leaves its home on the body, it freaks me out. I'd rather see dirt on the floor or counter than hair. Don't know what that's about. So it's pretty yukky. I spend half my time in the shower just running my hands through my hair and collecting giant clumps.

Thanks for reading this far. You are indeed brave souls.

In a moment of extreme insanity, I signed Lizzy up for Monday/Wednesday night swim lessons. I was in a panic to get her into this class by the time she turned 6, as that was the age recommendation. Poor child is older enough as it is than the other kids. Weird thing is, it's working out great! She looks forward to it, it's a pleasant little evening at the pool, and Maddie's reasonably well behaved, and we get a treat from Wendy's on the way home. Then we swing by the bus stop and pick up Matt, so he's able to stay at work a little late those nights.

Speaking of commuting home -- it's about that time.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor you! I can't imagine being stuck without the necessary equipment. :) I heard a horror story once about a woman who went on vacation for a weekend with her husband (without the baby) to some island, and her pump didn't work. It's burned into my brain.

    And can I just say--I am SO happy the election is over. I even liked both people, but I just HATE election season. It brings out the worst in everybody, me included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Tara! Honestly, I wasn't even sure until the last couple of weeks whom I would vote for. It wasn't a candidate I had a problem with; it was his followers. (perhaps there's a religious lesson for me to learn here somewhere ...)

    Ohhh, that poor woman. I really don't want to think about it! Although, I can't imagine going on vacation sans baby while still breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 1/2 Oz. - that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair is falling out too!!! Drives me insane!! It's everywhere and i've also fished it out of diapers. Poor little guy. On the bright side, I can blow it out more quickly as it's rapidly thinning.

    ReplyDelete