Friday, November 21, 2008

mom of the year

I'm sitting at my desk at work. I just received a phone call -- on the cell phone, no less, which I hadn't turned down the ringer on because I rarely receive calls anyway -- from Lizzy's school.
At least they weren't checking her for lice this time around. No -- this time, she's in the office, crying.

Why, you ask? Lizzy loves first grade! What happened?

Well, the parents were invited to some sort of luncheon today. Some special thing. And Lizzy's parents aren't there.

It seems she thought we were coming, despite the 10-minute conversation we had last week about how we were NOT coming. And everyone else has at least one parent there, naturally (according to Lizzy).

"Please come!" she sniffles into the phone. "I want you to come!"
I explain that, even if I left now, I wouldn't be able to make it before the luncheon ended.
"Yes you can!" she sobs urgently. "Just try!"

You have no idea, gentle readers, how hard I worked to carve out time for each and every stunt of this nature that her day care pulled over the years. I NEVER wanted my kid to be "that kid" -- the one looking mournful in a corner whilst the other kiddies proudly pulled their parents around the room at this or that holiday party. I always felt for that kid. To make matters worse, these parties -- which were, at least, scheduled toward the END of the day, not the EXACT MIDDLE -- tended to end earlier than the kids were normally picked up, so all the kids would go home early. Except that kid.

So, right now, as I type, Lizzy is 30 miles away, crying at school because I'm not there for her special occasion.

I could, and perhaps should, take this opportunity to rant about why the schools feel the need to do this. They require plenty of our time -- parent/teacher conferences at times convenient to THEM; early dismissals before holidays that are padded before and behind with days off; teacher workdays; snow days; etc. Whatever "vacation" I receive at work must go toward covering these, plus days that my children are sick. And I can't just plan an actual vacation around times when Lizzy's off of school, because only one of us in my department is allowed to take vaca at any one time. So, Thanksgiving? Christmas? Spring break? Taken, taken, taken.

I know I should be there for her more. And for Maddie. I love my job, but hate that we have to maintain two full-time gigs to have any hope of keeping this ship afloat. Don't you think I would do it differently, if I at all could?

So now I sit here at my desk, feeling like total crap. And, as Matt points out, this will go down in Lizzy's memory banks as a significant time that her parents WERE NOT there for her. She'll be traumatized, and vow not to do this to her children.

It really just doesn't feel fair.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:58 PM EST

    Oh Kate!
    I'm sorry for this heartache. Of course you are there for Lizzy. She will always know that. She is one of the more secure kids I know.

    Why don't school activities and events take more into consideration the REAL LIFE that most families have? They are the ones to feel bad for doing this to Lizzy, not you.

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of our best friends in London teach a parenting course where the key message is that your job as parents is not to make your kids happy at every possible moment. However awesome you are you could never protect them from every upset or tough experience. Your job is to raise adults, who can deal with the kind of things life is likely to throw at them, and makes the choices and find the inner resources to survive. So I guess that means the key is what happens next - how you help her deal with it...

    ANd anyway, just think what kind of a mixed up spoiled and dependent 16 year old she'd be if you were a millionaire stay at home Mom who never let her cry without arranging another ballet lesson for her.

    My Mum (as we call them back home) let me go to school in the snow wearing shorts when all the other kids were in longs, and she made me ride the bus to choir at night when every other parent was there in the car. And look at me now! I'm living half way round the world from my her and I hardly ever cry about it....

    John C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Stace-- why must the school arrange things without taking into account the realities of working families? Totally Not. On. You.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I'm so sorry. :( Do schools really need to stage quite so many events to enforce certain demonstrations of parental love? Lizzy sounds like a really smart, resilient, sensitive (in the good way) kid, who will always know that her parents loved her, even if they couldn't always do everything they wanted to (granted, a complex lesson for a 6-year-old, but not so hard for her to realize as she gets older . . .).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, we had the same trauma for Elizabeth's Thanksgiving lunch at her school. Of course she didn't understand that you can't take time off like that in the first two weeks of your new job :-/ And I still haven't recovered from missing her first grade play where she had a speaking part at 6:30 PM and I missed it because some a-hole boss scheduled a meeting at 5PM on a rainy day in DC. I blame that one on both the boss and the school - back in the day when I was in school (and mostly only ONE parent worked by the way) the school didn't dare plan any parent related events before 8PM so that the working dad could get home and get some dinner. Now everything starts at 6PM or 6:30. It makes me want to scream!!!

    But you know... even if the two jr Lizes (sp?) end up with a few more of these traumas I'm sure we do good enough to make up for it. At least that's what I tell myself ;-)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm way behind the curve on commenting on this post, but I just wanted to say that I used to beg my parents NOT to go to the parent-teacher things... to the point of crying when they said they would be going.

    It could be worse.

    I also agree with every other commenter so far that this is actually good for her. She won't be served by thinking you're there solely to keep her from ever being unhappy. Doing that would mean that she would be a sullen, selfish adult who can't understand why things don't just come to them.

    and finally BIG HUG.

    ReplyDelete