Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ford Focus vs. semi on 66

With all the commuting we do, and the daily four-lane merge from onramp on far right to carpool lane in far left, I suppose I knew this day would come. The day I can no longer say that 'I've never been in an accident while driving that wasn't in reverse gear.'

And I'm somewhat glad it happened with a big truck, and a foul-mouthed, heavily tattooed truck driver, not some entitled lawyer driving a Lexus.

We now have a fairly sizable dent in the car's back left region. Where Lizzy sits, which is a little scary, but aside from a surprised "Ow!" from her when metal ground on ... whatever our car panel is made of, and some impatience with us sitting by the side of the road, waiting for the police officer, Lizzy's fine. As are we all. (we didn't call the police officer, Dad. The trucker did. You trained me better than that.)

The scenario went as well as it possibly could have, as Matt pointed out. When the policeman did arrive, he was very kind, he didn't issue me a ticket (whew!), and he reassured us that any damage to the guy's truck was very minimal. "I'd be surprised if they filed a claim at all," he said.

So I suppose the dent in my pride, which was probably long overdue, is the only lasting scar -- and, of course, the Focus. Which we're probably too cheap to repair. I suppose some wear and tear* is expected on a car that now has 102,000 miles. Still less than half what I achieved on the first car I owned, but this one IS American-made. :)

Still -- when crunching into a huge truck's wheel, and shortly afterward hearing, "Do you always drive like a @$$hole?" is your first non-family interaction of the day, it might count as a bad beginning.

Thank goodness my capable husband got out and handled all that, even though he was the passenger. The last thing I want to do on my way to work is be cussed out by a trucker in a teardrop tattoo, even if I did inconvenience him quite a lot.


* (I'm oddly embarrassed to admit to any car damage, for fear that it will disappoint my friends, the Cassons, who sold us the car a few years ago. I can't decide if that's silly or not.)

4 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are ok. Sounds like the trucker's anger was coming from someplace else, someplace deeper. Perhaps you should have asked if there was anything he wanted to "get out.", maybe a shoulder to cry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. Glad you're all okay, and my condolences to the focus.

    (Stacy seems to think my understanding of 'ink' and prison culture is a little lacking, by the way. Once again, Kate, you are so 'street'.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes--like everybody else, I'm glad you're okay. :)

    As for the trucker, too bad you're not showing yet . . . this would be an ideal place to throw down the pregnancy card. (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve -- you soft-hearted nut.

    Mike -- I'm ashamed to admit that I've very little street in me. After Googling 'teardrop' and 'tattoo,' I was pretty horrified at what I found.

    Tara -- ha ha! Darned that overly baggy sweater.
    I thought about that, too. (whaddya mean, you're kidding?) :)
    But I wouldn't have put it past that guy to punch me in the stomach, or something. I am NOT up to that sort of confrontation over something as silly as a minor accident.

    ReplyDelete