Tuesday, January 15, 2008

darned George Lucas -- re "part III"

I spent a good bit of late yesterday evening trying to explain whether Anakin Skywalker is “good” or “bad,” if he indeed did kill Queen Amidala (Palpatine tells him he did; and he did choke her. Nothing like a little domestic violence on a full-term pregnant woman!), and that you could not in fact determine the “good” or “bad” guys merely by the color of their light sabers.

However, we probably did her some inter-gender service by exposing her to it, believe it or not. “Now I can play with the boys on the playground!” she exclaimed brightly.

Oh, goodie.

3 comments:

  1. I know it's really insensitive of me that I laughed really hard at this. :-) It is rather maddening that Lucas decided "Star Wars is really for children!" and thus made the inane Episode I (though arguably he jumped the "kiddie" shark when the first Ewok rolled off a log), and two movies later, after he's hooked millions of 5-year-olds on the adventures of lil' Darth and lil' Boba (and their comical friends) he makes this rather graphic and disturbing PG-13 finale, thus warping their fragile little minds.

    Maybe he *is* a genius, after all!

    ;-) Kidding, kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll help my little one, when the time is right. I want her to be able to play with boys, and I had no idea that the light sabers had varied colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case anyone was wondering, I insisted that Matt fast-forward through the 'charred, limbless swamp thing crawling out of the pit for rescue' bit toward the end there.

    ReplyDelete