Wednesday, January 16, 2008

dropoff

This morning, when I dropped Lizzy off at kindergarten, she went into the bathroom while I signed her in. The one-sided conversation at the kids' craft table grabbed my ear.

"Tatooine is a desert planet," explained Jimmy very earnestly to the girl next to him, Maggie, whom you could tell didn't give a darn. "It's where Luke was a young boy. It's also where ... is from." (fill in the blank with some sci-fi creature I can't remember the name of.)

Maggie gave him a sideways roll of the eyes, and continued carving up her paper snowflake.

I ducked into the bathroom and said, "Lizzy! You were right! Jimmy's in there talking about Star Wars already."

"TOLD ya," she said. Before finishing up and showing the assembled girls the Snow White horse she brought today, a Christmas present from her grandpa Maisel.

"Does EVERY princess have her own horse?" asked Ms. Maria, the head teacher.

"Well, not every one. But most of them," Lizzy answered. "But I only have four."

This is where I fled the room in embarrassment at my child's riches. Hey -- let the record show that I personally bought her only ONE of those. I think.

How DID I suffer through my childhood with the paltry number of toys allotted me (only TWO Barbie horses) ... and an incomplete set of Star Wars movies in existence, come to think of it!

How far we have come. Or not. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment