Friday, March 09, 2007

reading and weeping

I'm looking at the Manassas housing listings right now. Trying to decide whether to throw up or cry. Neither would be strictly convenient, since I'm sitting at my desk. But it IS Friday afternoon. The rules are a little more lax -- I'm sitting here in my jeans, after all, and my boss has gone home for the day (his day starts a lot earlier than mine). Still, neither activity is smiled upon in a newsroom.

So, I'll just blog instead. (as if that's okay in the newsroom. Heh.)

This is the first weekend that I'm not looking forward to in a very, very long time. Matt and I are 'attacking' the old house tomorrow. All day. While Lizzy watches eight movies with her grandma. (at least, that's what happened the last time they spent the day together. Yes, EIGHT.) And I really don't want to. I don't usually dodge physical labor of any kind, and so I suspect the problem really lies in confronting the issue at hand.
Which is, we will lose a lot of money on this house. A lot of money. We really have only ourselves to blame -- we made the fiscal decisions we made. It's sad to see how many of the houses in the listings are 'bank-owned' -- foreclosures. We're not there yet, though -- who knows. Heh.
Anyway, I don't know how anyone feels about praying for somewhat 'self-imposed problems,' but if you don't mind, could you please pray that we sell our house? Or that God gives us wisdom to know what else to do? And helps us figure out how things fall from there, financially? Carrying two mortgages is not cool.
Thanks for watching out for us in the past, God. Please help us find a solution to this particular problem.
Amen.

In happier news, my alma mater is going to the NCAA basketball tourney! It's really exciting. They tend to let me down, but I'll enjoy it while I can. I get very little news and excitement of the West Coast athletics variety all the way over here. Go Cougs!

Also -- Lizzy and I are getting excited about our vacation to Disneyland in late April. My poor brother. He'll be there with seven females. Perhaps he's the one I should be requesting prayer for.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you. I've had to sell a couple of properties in the last few years (mine & Jason's, as well as my parents') and was in a high tizzy each and every time. For whatever reason, I'd feel particularly vulnerable and helpless while in the midst of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:21 AM EDT

    I will indeed pray. I'm completing my take-home final for my Hebrew Prophets class and one of the things that strikes me is that how merciful God is. In the midst of Israel and Judah's idolatry, swindling of the poor and sin, God was providing a way to preserve them through the vehicle of captivity by the neo-Babylonians and Assyrians.

    I'm not thinking captivity will be how things work out for you, but remember that God indeed loves and cares for us. Hey, who am I but a royal mess-up who God still chooses to use? ;]

    We'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Among all the deeply theological meanings of the cross, it's also a demonstration of God's willingness to get us out of even self-imposed scrapes. :)

    ReplyDelete