Monday, March 05, 2007

passing pony love on to the next generation

I gave Lizzy my beloved Barbie ponies yesterday afternoon. The ones that Santa Claus -- er, my parents -- gave to me yesterday -- er, so long ago.


She was having a blast, trying to decide which Barbie princesses looked best on which horse. She already wants more, 'so the girl horses have boy horses to marry.'


It's so fun to pass things along to her. Something I always wanted to do, not really knowing if it would happen. Would I have a daughter? Would she care? Would I actually be able to find said toy at the right stage of the daughter's life? I love that she is getting as much enjoyment out of them as I did. And that she gets a new toy, and it was free for me.

Having said that ... I can also rest easy, having verified that there are multiple replacements available on eBay, if (when) their delicate little hooves get snapped off.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot all about the Barbie ponies! My sister and I each had one . . It think mine was a black stallion (?) and hers was a palomino--I think the one that's pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:55 PM EST

    Girls live in a different universe from boys. All of my super hero action-figures (NOT dolls) had the arms, legs and heads pulled off of them. Some even made the ultimate sacrifice, "falling" on a firecracker for the team.

    Amelia has some of her dollies from childhood, still in the original box. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 AM EST

    That's so cool! Liz seems more into jewelry (esp diamonds) which could be more problematic. But we recently made a trip to the Indian jewelry store, plopped down on the floor with a huge bin of "sparkly princess bracelets" and put together a few set, it was a neat feeling to do together. And she has my little pull-along rotary phone although I think she'll never see anything like it in real life! Love, Mir

    ReplyDelete