Friday, March 02, 2007

FOX 'entertainment'

One obvious thing about blogging is that you have to have something to say. With luck, it's something someone else might find worth reading, for some reason. Because they find it funny, or maybe just because one's friends or family might use it as a way to keep up with the blogger.

Sometimes, I find that I either have something to say, but no time to write, or a few 'down minutes,' but can't think of anything to say. And yet, I'll e-mail friends and/or coworkers something that I figure they'd find interesting, but don't figure the 'world' at large might care about.

But today, I'm going to share one of those snippets. Maybe I'll do so more often.

Without further ado: My take on "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth-Grader?", Fox TV's new post-"American Idol" 'hit' show. Originally typed for the benefit of two of my co-workers.

-----------------------------------------------

I admit, with some shame, that we left the TV on after A.I. (why should I be ashamed of anything I watch, if I’m watching A.I.? Food for thought.)

So we saw an hour of “Are You Smarter Than A Fifth-Grader?” (for the record, I am not. But I could’ve told you that without watching.)

I have many reactions to this. First of all, it’s SO the "Millionaire" show, with a slightly different format. Host delays actual progress of show as much as humanly possible. Which is why (among other reasons) I could never watch the "Millionaire" show with regularity.
And I have to wonder: How hard would it be, really, to brush up on the textbooks required through fifth grade? Is there THAT much to know???
They really went out of their way to pick a stupid guy for the first contestant. Pretty, but stupid. And he ended up winning $100,000.
What was he going to do with it? Well, for starters, “buy a Lamborghini, and paint it camouflage.”
Jeff Foxworthy, the host – he of the ‘you know you’re a redneck if’ jokes -- said: “Wow. You really ARE a redneck!” That was the best moment of the show. By far.

After it was over, Matt said, “That was on for an HOUR? I have just wasted an hour of my life – on THAT?!!” Yes. You did. And so did I. (though I was also coloring Tinker Bell and balancing my checkbook -- so there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment