Tuesday, January 23, 2007

must ... not ... use ... bad ... pun.

Yesterday was an infamous Snow Closure Day at Lizzy's day care. The day care alleges that it closes in sync with Arlington county schools. Which is probably true. So perhaps my ire should be targeted at the Arlington county school system. To remind you, it did not snow yesterday. It snowed SUNDAY. Arghhhh!

In any case, someone had to stay home yesterday. Matt drew the short straw, so I went to work.

On to the point of my missive: I had to drive down a road that I don't usually take for very long -- Lee Highway -- on the way back home because I couldn't do our usual Hwy. 66 within the beltway. I was but one driver.
Which was no big deal. Virginia geography tends to elude me, even though I've lived -- and even owned a car in -- the state for years now. I need to sit at home one afternoon and study a map, but you can guess how often that's happened thus far.
So I had a little nostalgic trek down Lee Highway. Passing the fire station where Lizzy's been to a birthday party; passing our Falls Church Kaiser Permanente building; passing a pizza place where Lizzy's attended a birthday party; passing the shopping center in which there's a gymnastics facility where Lizzy's been to TWO birthday parties ... you get the idea.
I'm ruminating on years of events, up and down the road. Pondering how long I've lived here, all that's happened. Wondering how much longer I'll be here. (and not in a negative sense, believe it or not.) When a light ahead of me turns red, and I stop, and I look up and see this product dangling from the truck in front of me. Gently swaying with the motion of the vehicle having just stopped.

I think I laughed about it all the way home. I am still in disbelief that someone would put such a thing on their truck. As Matt said, when I called him on my cell phone, gasping with laughter: "It's a BIG truck, right? It had BETTER be a big truck."
Oh my, oh my.
It was a silver one, if you're wondering.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:45 AM EST

    I saw these on a truck that parked on a side street near our pastor's old house. We'd usually be on our way back from church -- oh, the joys.

    Have I become so old that I fail to see the appeal?

    ReplyDelete