Monday, January 08, 2007

does marriage need defending?

You probably all think I'm about to get political -- HA! No.

I wanted to relate a little interaction I had on Saturday, when I went to get the car's oil changed down the street in Manassas at a place that found a mystery problem and charged us double last time the brakes needed to be done. Some people never learn.

I'll even gloss over the part where the guy at the desk wouldn't honor the mailer coupon I'd forgotten to bring with me. Which annoyed me no end. Still, I hadn't been able to find it, so ... fair enough, Grumpy 'Greeter' Front-Desk Guy. He also informed me that I could find it online and print it out. Thanks, dude. Next time, I suppose.

I'm on record there, since we've done business before, and they know me as Kate Williams. So I thought I'd explain that the name on my credit card is different because my name has changed -- I got married. Now, when I throw that out there, I'm not expecting a reaction. I don't expect people who don't know me to get excited for me. That struck me as odd when I was pregnant, too -- people congratulating me. (especially considering the circumstances at the time, but again, they can't be expected to know.) So I'm used to people responding, "Oh, Congratulations!" in bright chirpy voices. Not this guy. Mr. Grump gave a mighty snort of disgust and said, "Well! I hope it works out better for you than it did for me."
"Hm," I said, wondering how one politely reacts to such a comment. "Are you still married?" (hoping fervently, for his wife's sake, to hear, 'no.') And I was not disappointed -- HECK no, in fact.
At that point, I could've provided the guy a few reasons why it might not have gone so well.

Now, I realize that some people have acrimonious situations. And that it's very likely harder to have a happy marriage than an unhappy one. For one thing, it requires a great deal of unselfishness, which seems to be something a lot of people have trouble with. But, is it okay to assume that marriage is generally a bad institution, if you had a bad experience (or three)? Further, is it okay to sneer in the face of a newlywed stranger -- one who has chosen your place of employ in a very competitive business for her (granted, small-time) automotive care?

If you ask me, I think not.

P.S., to my mom: When I said, last night, that Matt "will do, for now," I was joking. Yes, I know you knew that. Still, you sounded a little alarmed.

2 comments:

  1. When we got engaged, one of Dr. G's coworkers mentioned that he would probably be better off sticking his head in the garbage disposal than getting married. NICE. That guy also had a marriage that ended badly. I think it's just human to extrapolate one's personal experience onto The Entire World. No need to be rude about it though. The other option: we were filling up the bedecked car with gas on our way to our honeymoon and a down-and-out looking guy gave us a box cutter to get rid of some of the ivy and ribbon. It was his wedding present to us, he said, because seeing us newlyweds filled him with hope even though his own marriage experience had been terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:39 PM EST

    One time I went to a wedding in which the groom had, in the wedding program, taunted his older sister for not getting married before he had. Utterly tasteless. Boy, did he feel like a heel about the fact that his sister got married MANY YEARS later (she had been engaged at the time he got married, which made the comments seem less tasteless at the time). He is quite relieved that she is now happily married and he can try to forget that it ever happened. So, I guess one can make all kinds of dumb mistakes in reference to marriage...

    -Linusbrother

    ReplyDelete