Tuesday, April 25, 2006

paci update

Thanks, Liz and Dee!

There was crying last night. At bedtime, and at about 1:30 a.m. Lizzy assumed that those pacifiers were gone, but the others we had stashed around the house would still be in circulation. Sorry, darling. Not so. ... It's so distressing to see how heartbroken she is (at moments) over this. Like I have snatched her one source of comfort. But at other times, she was giddy and hyper and happy. Those mood swings. It's hard to keep up sometimes.

This morning, in the day care parking lot, she was telling Chocolate, the Pretend Lizard (she's actually a frog), about how it was right here that she threw away her pacis yesterday! Right Mommy? Right, Lizzy. "So we can get them today, right? Because I'm going to get out of my seat today," she chirps brightly. Awwww. Sorry, dear. By now, you really REALLY wouldn't want them.

She's just been so moody at times lately. I get her to 'school,' and the other kids swarm around and ask me if she can play with them. She just sits there, looking sullen. And yet, when she's home for three or four consecutive days, she's begging to return to her friends.

Truly, the grass is always greener.

4 comments:

  1. Kate, how cute! Her quixotic recovery plan shows she remembers the lesson. :) You're such a good mom . . . maybe it seems especially that way to me because it's totally the kind of thing that my mom would have done with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing. I can't tell you how much I hate having to discipline the little ones. I know I have to do it and it's for their own good, but it breaks my heart. Tara is right; you are a good mom :) It sounds like she's going to get through this not too much worse for the wear. If you're like me, it's much harder on you.

    As for her mood swings, could she be going through a growth spurt? I always noticed Elizabeth was a little more moody when she was spurting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm being too permissive most of the time, and then I'll come down harsher than I'd like to (such as the paci thing), and that's inconsistent, and they say consistency is the most important thing...
    I cannot figure out (aside from saying it over and over and OVER) that it is not always appropriate to act toward us the way we act toward her. If we have asked her to do something several times, and she has ignored us, we will sometimes bark, "NOW!" at her. It gets results. She did that to us this morning in the car when she wanted "her music." Needless to say, she did not get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's when you get to say "Because I'm the mommy!" ;)

    ReplyDelete