Tuesday, April 11, 2006

it'sadressit'sadressit'sadressdressdress

Since you've been so kind as to not mock my public endeavor here, I'll throw you one more to consider. I had originally had it in the "maybe a keeper" pile, but tossed it away because of the cap sleeves, which slipped a lot. But that was in the tester dress, which, as those of you who have been wedding dress shopping might recall, is a really weird system. Women of all shapes and sizes try on (mostly) sizes 10 and 12. It's a bit of a riot to see a size 2 woman clutching at all of the spare material, or a size 22 woman with barely her front covered in the things. I mean, how are we supposed to learn anything from this?
All that to say, it might fit just fine -- and those sleeves might stay put -- if it were tailored for moi.

Without further ado, Option No. 5:




Would it flatter? Would it suit my style (whatever the heck that might be)? Does it combine the elements you've fancied from dresses past? Only you can say!

10 comments:

  1. Okay ... this is better than even no. 1 below. The only thing I was worried about in the other one is that it had the potential to make you look really broad shouldered, but this won't do that. And is more delicate without too much froof. Very classical too. I'd say a tie between this and no. 1 in the first batch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ... Schuyler ... you meant "princess" waist. Empire waist is low cut bust and the dress is full and starts under the bust. It was all the rage when Empress Josephine was married to Napolean and pregnant and designed to conceal her pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still like the original number 1 the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Maggie. The more I look at these dresses (and I've peeked more than once), the more I really like the orginal no 1. I think that one is just so amazingly cool and I bet you look like a movie star in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: But if this one makes you FEEL more beautiful... then I say go for the one that you feel the best... it's your day to shine afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie: So does my mom. And the lady in the dress shop. She's really pushing for No. 4. But... I think I feel a wee bit too bare in it. It's allegedly the most flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My experience, after helping lots of friends dress shop, is that you can't make a decision based on a picture. So if the people who saw it on you IRL liked #4, I would lean in that direction. Unless, like you said, you didn't feel comfortable in it. What did *you* feel best in??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:08 AM EDT

    Jay mentioned you were trawling for votes so...here's mine ;-) I think they're all very lovely. My favorites were the bookends, nos. 1 and 4. They're quite elegant! However, pictures can be deceptive - I'd go with whichever gown looked the best in the mirror. Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:55 PM EDT

    I like #1; #s 3 and 5 are tied for second place.

    ReplyDelete