Wednesday, April 12, 2006

all that's old is new again

Nothing original here... But still, it must be said.
I wore sandals today that really shouldn't be worn any more. They should be thrown in the trash. But there's something about shoes -- shoes don't really wear out when you're an adult, right? -- that I don't want to part with. They'll be useful, someday! They'll be back in style, someday! As it turns out, I'm right about that last part. My parents used to tease me about these horrid Roman sandal-looking things I wore in high school. To make it worse, I always chose the closed-toed ones -- extra-sandally-looking. Because I thought I had ugly feet. As compared to ... Anyway, I slapped my way over to Hecht's today to see if they had anything to tempt me. They did not. They had an awful lot of stuff that was STRAIGHT from 1985. Unreal! Maybe even from 1984, but if I said that, you'd be searching for a George Orwell connection, and there isn't one, not that I know of, so we'll go with 1985. There was a pair there that used to have a certain name... Can't remember what the style is called. My friend Lisa wore that exact pair for years. I have no idea how she kept them on her feet, and after trying them on -- who can say why I bothered -- I am even more mystified.
So I took my business to Payless Shoe Source, where at least I will be paying a maximum of seventeen bucks for a pair of crappy throwback sandals. And, of course, they had already worn a hole in the top of my foot by the time I had skipped the four blocks or so back to my office. Sheesh.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:49 PM EDT

    are they huraches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, why, yes they are! (she said, after image googling it.)
    Nice call... How the heck are you online? Where are you? I'm picturing a little hut in the midst of a swirling snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:59 PM EDT

    I was in a little hut just a few days ago, bright sunshine and 8 degrees. But I have returned unscathed.

    ReplyDelete