Tuesday, March 21, 2006

who cares?

Sometimes I wonder if the things I care about are worth caring about.
I’m not talking about things that are, clearly, essential: Peace (on whatever level you care to define that), justice (ditto), the fact that hitting and killing people isn’t a very productive way to live, etc. I’m talking about the more minor things. They might still be moral issues, or they might not. But – are they still things that are important to hang onto?

The two examples that come to mind are swearing, and spelling/grammar. It wears on me, you see, in my attempts to be, uh, “pure” on those fronts. It’s hard to care! It takes energy! I don’t usually have any to spare.
The swearing one is such a slippery slope, as well: When I was growing up, we couldn’t say all the biggies; not a surprise. ‘Crap,’ however, was acceptable – or at least, my parents said it. I don’t really recall if we were allowed to say it or not. ‘Butt’ was not acceptable. I probably still try to avoid it, I think. Lizzy trotted it out the other day, and I suggested a better word. So maybe I’m also not allowing it. Who knew!

I’ve added a couple other words since then – words that don’t seem that offensive in general, but perhaps are to some. But recently – whose blog was that on, anyway? Sonja’s? – some friends and acquaintances of mine had a rousing discussion about cursing. Whether it was something God likely objected to.

I bring this up because I often tire of feeling like the only person in the world who doesn’t use certain words. They wear on me when I hear them, because they cause a “yikes!” reaction in my head. What is one to do then? Decide they’re okay? But then I feel like I’m giving in somehow. Being what I don’t want to be. At what point do we decide that something’s so widespread in our culture that we just don’t care anymore? It used to be rude, but, well – now it’s just how things are? Occasionally, an older relative will say something to me like, “The world’s just a different place these days, I guess.” And I agree, but I always take it as a bit of an insult. Because I think what they mean is, “We’ve lost our moral compass,” or “we used to do things better.” Maybe I’m being too defensive. And, more likely – they’re probably right.

Okay, this started out as more of a joking-around entry, and has turned into something not so fun. So I’ll skip to the next example:

Spelling and grammar. A few people – I think they knew I was a copy editor – have said to me, “Why do we even care? If you know what I mean, who cares if I misspell something or use an apostrophe when it’s merely a plural word?” (I shudder just typing that.) I mean, yes. That is unlikely to kill anyone.

Maybe I have some German in me. I don’t know of any, but I could be wrong. When I was in Germany, one of the phrases of satisfaction they’d utter from time to time was, “Alles in Ordnung.” All is in order. Everything has a certain way to be, and we are happy and at rest if it is so. I think that’s how I feel about grammar, spelling, etc. But it sure feels like a losing battle.

(DISCLAIMER: I don’t much care, for the record, if I get an e-mail or see a blog entry with mistakes. It’s not important. But if you’re a business, and you’re making a sign, or writing something on a board for public display, etc., for pity’s sake, PLEASE do yourself the trouble of getting it right.)

I think the height of disturbing is when I see misspellings at my daughter’s day care. Signs on the wall, usually. This morning, I saw a cute display of photos of the toddler room making a “Ceasar Salad.” Awww! And then, ugh.

Or awhile back, when Lizzy’s class had a display of the various American bills on the wall. (George Washington is on the one-dollar bill; etc. I won’t continue and expose the fact that I would have to check to make sure who they actually are.) Which one is Ben Franklin on, anyway? Oddly enough, misplaced facts like these don’t trouble me so much. Just spell them right! So there goes my credibility.
But back to Ben Franklin – he was described as an American president. Ahem. The worst part was, Matt had to point out the error to me. I didn’t even notice.

6 comments:

  1. Well, let me tell you a thing or two.... ;-)

    Just kidding. Your drawing a parallel between these two issues intrigues me. Clearly it's a very valid parallel, but as one who tends to (try to) be a MUCH bigger stickler about spelling/punctuation than I am about profanity, this parallel disturbs me in a "Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!" sort of way. If I'm a Pharisee about apostrophes and an unwashed fisherman when it comes to curse words, what does that make me? Hmm.

    In practice, I'm the world's most fallible and poorest punctuation Pharisee, and our previous conversation about profanity has actually prompted me to clean up my language somewhat (or at least to be more careful about the contexts in which certain language is or is not appropriate).

    Thanks for the post, Kate. Very thought-provoking. If I'm going to go to my grave insisting that "they" is NOT a third-person *singular* gender-indeterminate pronoun (and I am!), then I have little ground to criticize others for insisting that certain four-letter words are NOT appropriate in any context.

    Peace,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben is on the fiver ... and he was never a president. Weird, huh?

    Have you read, Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynn Trusse? You'd really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: Har! How interesting that our debate spurred change on your part. I felt I was arguing from a flimsy, though heartfelt, viewpoint. I think having a kid just learning how to talk has also inflamed my perspective on that point over the past year or two. I wouldn't take my parallels very seriously, though. One is free to pick and choose what to be picky about!
    Sonja: Yeah, I linked to the book. But actually, no, I haven't read it -- I keep intending to borrow it from my mom, but it'll just go on the stack of books I've been meaning to read soon, anyway... Sounds brilliant. Perhaps it would be therapeutic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yay, another grammar discussion! (I'm not being sarcastic.) I've been thinking about the grammar thing a lot lately. I just started to comment, but it ended up getting long, so instead I'm going to post something on my blog about it. :) Erin, you, me--ahem, Julie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:03 PM EST

    At my house we couldn't say shut up, butt, or fart. Given the strictness of these rules, it came as a great surprise to later discover that "bitch" was a bad word, after hearing my dad's "quit your bitching" admonitions for so many years. The other day in Whole Foods I said sh*t around small children (quoting someone else who had a job digging mushrooms out of aforesaid substance) but I was horrified at myself. Offered a general apology to the seating area, in fact.

    As far as grammar and spelling go, I like to remember back to the days when there was no such thing-- you gave it your best shot, and hoped people could understand you. What changed it all? The printing press? My personal sticklerism comes from my great love of precision. "It's rain" means something different than "its rain." Say what you mean, mean what you say. The ceasar salad thing did cause a cringe,too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, "F*rt" and "S**t up" were off limits in the Robbins household as well. :) As was "God," except in actual references to Himself. I had to take a History of the English Language class and they told us that it was the dictionary that regularized spelling--somebody (Johnson?) decided to gather up all the words and then declared himself the authority. Interestingly (to geeks anyway), Webster's dictionary was conceived of as a patriotic project, a thumbing of the nose at Britain : "See, not only are we politically independent but maybe we'll even invent our own language!" Mostly I guess we just got rid of a bunch of Us and Ss.

    ReplyDelete