Friday, March 24, 2006

half-baked couch potatoes

Last night, when Matt and I picked up the Lizzard from day care, her dial was turned to "fussy and uncooperative." Not at first, but clearly, by the time she got into the car, it was not going to be a pleasant ride home. To the extent that we had to threaten her to get her to stop crying -- I'm not sure this is a good parental policy, but sometimes, in enclosed spaces for extended periods, "ideal" does not show up. So, silencio was had.
After a couple of minutes of uninterrupted conversation with the fiance, I had to check the rear-view mirror to see if our child had fallen out of the car, or what. (I shouldn't joke about that; it happened to me once. But we have a two-door, and she's obviously in the back seat, so it's not a strong possibility.) And she was ASLEEP. Oops. Visions of her awake 'til midnight danced in my head, but, shrug, I guess she missed her nap or something. So we let her go.
We carried her in the house (she's a sound sleeper), laid her on the couch, and she slept on and on and on. I picked her up and carried her to bed when we retired, at 11. Got her some milk at that point, but she slept ... until 6:15 a.m.! Totally weird. Has never happened before. And she doesn't appear to be sick today, or anything.

Matt and I enjoyed the most luxurious evening, despite paranoia that she would wake at any moment, of uninterrupted coupledom! What did we do, you ask? Did we clean? Did we make an extravagant dinner? Did we do -- well, anything else? We did NOTHING. We camped on the couch and watched NBC's Thursday night lineup, right through e.r.
And it was heaven.

P.S. -- I don't advocate this sort of behavior every night, for those who are able -- TV is crap, and one does need to move around a bit and stimulate one's brain and body from time to time -- but just this once, it was like someone on a forced diet, enjoying a guilt-free sundae, I guess. Sheer bliss.

On the agenda tonight: Watching Chicken Little! And no, I don't mean the kid from American Idol. We bought the movie Wednesday night. Haven't seen it yet. Tonight is Lizzy's turn to rule the remote control.

2 comments:

  1. Those Disney movies are actually usually pretty good the first time through, don't you think? It's the 12th time through that they really start to get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd agree, for the most part. The sequels can be pretty grim. I must say, though, that Chicken Little was really subpar. Just didn't come together very well for me. But I do enjoy most other Disney and Pixar movies! SOOOOO much better than a Barney or Dora video.

    ReplyDelete