Thursday, March 09, 2006

Dance revolution

There's a advertisement for a new movie in the Rosslyn metro station, at the bottom of the escalator, that I've seen every day this week. It's called 'Take the Lead.' Apparently, it stars Antonio Banderas, not that it matters.
It amuses me daily, because it shows the silhouette of two people, dramatically dancing together, with the tagline: Never Follow.
Isn't the point of couples dancing that one -- generally the male -- leads, and the other follows? Isn't that how it works? Isn't that the beauty of it -- that these two become one in movement, appearing as though they have but one mind, through the skilled leading of one, and the skilled following of the other? (and some other things, such as coordination and dance skills in general, sure.)
This is one reason I've never been that great at couples dancing. I'd love to do more of it, but I have a really hard time NOT leading, especially when it's clear the guy I'm dancing with is not taking his cues from the music, or doing it the established way.
And I won't even get started on the idiocy of 'never following.' Because some of us should only ever LEAD!!! We are THAT awesome. Or, perhaps, that difficult to work with.
It's just such a dumb idea for a dance movie poster. I couldn't resist mocking it.

3 comments:

  1. It's way up there with "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, Tara, I never really fully contemplated the stupidity of that one before.
    It also took me a long time to process the meaning of, "Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odd, huh? It was just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete