Friday, September 16, 2005

Celebrate!

Oh, you thought this was about my daughter's upcoming baptism? Silly you. NO. Much more important events beg my attention.
Tomorrow morning, the Cable Guy (masquerading as the Internet Guy) will come to spread joy, love and internet service in our home. I cannot believe that I am at a place in life where I happily accept an 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. time slot on Saturday morning for such shenanigans. Then we get to go watch Daddy (aka Matt the Gnat -- his soccer alias) run his out-of-shape tushie off on the football pitch. Er, soccer field. I don't quite think he deserves the opportunity, honestly. I had to explain to him that his team's name, The All Blacks, was not, in fact, racial commentary of any kind.
After tomorrow, I can check my friends' blogs and wish someone had posted something new FROM HOME, instead of from work! Exciting. I'm sure my boss will be excited about it, too. :)

My most interesting D.C. Sighting of the day: I walked behind a girl -- a teen, go figure -- who had her underwear waistband hanging out. Not unusual, unfortunately. But the brand (?) appeared to be called 555-HOTTIE. Ha!

I post the following, as it is too ridiculous to go uncommented-on:


Catherine Zeta Jones is reportedly splashing out a fortune - on bottled Welsh air.
The raven-haired beauty allegedly forks out £24 per bottle of air from her native Wales - and has it flown to her Los Angeles home.
The patriotic actress then dishes it out to friends visiting her and husband Michael Douglas, according to a report in Britain's The Sun newspaper.


(conversion -- that's probably around $45 a bottle. Yeeeeeesh.)

Now, CZJ is one of my favorite actresses, for several reasons. She's one of the most beautiful women on earth; she's Welsh; and, um, I guess that's all it takes for me. Even her marrying Creepy Old Guy has not put me off.
The item is amusing -- and ridiculous -- on the face of things, but I find it even more hilarious because I lived in Ms. Zeta Jones's hometown for eight months. I know whereof I speak here. And I can attest that the air there? Not so great. Quite industrial, in fact. (though it was one of the best years of my life, easily. I loved it there.) When I tell a British person that I studied abroad in Wales, they say, "Oh, really? Where?" And without exception, they wrinkle their nose and ask, "Why??" or, "Poor you!" when I saw Swansea. Har!
Perhaps she's importing that nice, northern Snowdonia air.
SHE'S IMPORTING AIR.
How do you even put air in a bottle? Wave it around outside? And some people thought WATER in a bottle was absurd. (those people, by the way, do not live in D.C.)

1 comment:

  1. Har! Doesn't He, though.
    I just about died when I saw my first 'air bar.' Though nothing, I say NOTHING, will top our experience in Half-Moon Bay with the Light Shower Guy. I have never had a more surreal feeling in my life.
    Good times!

    ReplyDelete