Thursday, February 12, 2009

winter of my content

As I rode home on the metro yesterday, I contemplated the fact that I was slightly annoyed that it was still light out, and I'd been a little too warm all day.
And then I realized, with some shock: I'm actually not tired of winter. I would like it to continue for a bit longer.

I've been conditioned for so long -- living anywhere that I've lived but the D.C. area -- to dread winter, and rejoice as it passes. No more cold, dark days! Time to get back outside and enjoy God's green, thriving, awakening creation!
I used to think of February, and even March, as it's too much of a tease, as being the bleakest time of year.
But here? I'm just too darned hot most of the rest of the year. Especially, what, May through (insert month that seems to occur increasingly later in the year -- September, say?).
I enjoyed the cold this winter. It felt like some sort of interesting blanket about me as I walked down 14th street to work each morning. Cold and alive and stimulating.
Also, I seem to equate 'cold air' with 'clean air'. Germs can't live in cold air, right? Cold air seems to smell fresh and clean. In summertime, D.C. smells (and feels) like one giant armpit.
I think what alarms me somewhat as I come to enjoy winter, and dread summer, more each year is the possibility that this is a sign of age. Is it? Does this mean I'm getting old, as surely as do the gray hairs and longer list of things my digestive system won't tolerate?
If so -- eh. So be it. Right? I can't change it, so I should embrace it. (right???)
And, granted, this winter was quite mild. We had, what ONE snow day? Yes, I'm wishing doom upon myself by saying this less than halfway through February. You can all praise (if you're a student or a teacher)/blame (if you're anyone else) me for the three-day snowstorm we'll surely have late next week.
It surely feels about time to move to a colder, less humid place. Hm ... I bet there are places in Washington state that might fit that bill ... ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, it's nice to hear some good things about winter. I've tired of it here but need to develop a better attitude since winter here lasts for about 3 more months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, what will you do when the time comes for hot flashes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, loving winter is not a sign of old age, unless you're referring to the onset of dementia. If that were true, all the old-timers would retire to Alaska instead of Florida and Arizona. :)

    ReplyDelete