Thursday, November 29, 2007

kind of like I'm Vulcan


One of the characteristics of first-trimester pregnancy that’s the weirdest, and most acute, for me is the super-powered sense of smell. I suppose it serves the purpose of getting me off coffee for awhile – it takes a lot to do that. But I spent the entire evening at home last night thinking our house really stank. Then this morning, I realized that I had that same unpleasant smell in my nose, and I was sitting at my desk at work. (I assure you, it’s not ME that I’m smelling.)
So it seems to be something even worse than actual heightened smell – it’s phantom smell, as well. Overactive smell memory, perhaps? I can’t really figure it out.

And don’t even get me started on walking behind someone actively smoking as I’m making my way down the D.C. sidewalk to work. If noses could kill …

Anybody know an effective way of thoroughly cleaning couch upholstery? One that doesn't involve owning a K1rby vacuum?

No comments:

Post a Comment