Monday, November 26, 2007

in sickness and in sickness

Matt and I seem to have this unintentional competition when it comes to health.

If one of us mentions that we're not feeling well, almost without fail, the other person will say, 'Gee, I'm feeling crappy today, too!'

It's a little annoying, to be honest. I mean, let me have the theoretical sickie couch to myself now and then! But it happens (maybe almost) just as often from my direction as it does from his.

Granted, that's going to be a little MORE annoying, for awhile. In my mind, hey, I have a legitimate REASON to be feeling poopy. My body's brewin' up a young'un! It makes sense that this might take the wind out of my sails from time to time.

A couple of months back, I took this tendency to its extreme conclusion. Matt had been complaining about a nagging headache that day. It seemed like it was really taking it out of him. I could tell he was suffering.

I'm not usually a headache person, thank goodness. And never terribly bad. They usually mean I'm getting the flu, which is rare.

So on that evening, we were tootling about the house -- Matt making dinner (bless him! despite his headache!) and me doing ... whatever. We have this hallway that's pretty narrow, and the half-bathroom door blocks the entire thing if the door's open. (if you've been in our, or Sam and Dee's, house, you know what I'm talking about.) Good ol' Ryan homes!

I was breezing down the hallway, and thought, for some reason, that I could kind of kick the door shut on my way by. Unfortunately, the bottom of the door somehow got stuck on the edge of my shoe. Or something? I wasn't quite sure how it happened, only that I next heard a tremendous CRACK!, which was the door caroming off of my forehead.

Needless to say, I had a headache to rival Matt's for awhile.

1 comment: