Wednesday, May 16, 2007

is it just me ...

Or is this the slowest week ever?

I've been wanting to blog, but things have been busy here at work, and (blush) that's where I have time to do most of my blogging. Ahem.

I’m planning to do a recap, with photos which I now have in my possession, of Lizzy’s and my recent vacation to SoCal. We’ll put Blogger’s limit (is there one?) on photos per entry to the test.

I think I’ve sort of readjusted to live here in NoVa. I’m reminded daily of how good we have it. We really do! Thanks for putting up with my whining when I lose sight of that, or tend to concentrate on the things I DON’T have right this minute. And, yes, some – proximity to family, etc. – are important. But there are only a few things, really. I’m pretty much outrageously blessed.

On a community pride/commuting note: Matt and I have noticed in recent, well, years that certain communities have developed little oval stickers once used only by European countries. As I’ve done some driving in European countries, this confused me for awhile. Then I realized one day, oh, they’re trying to be cute. Okay. If I had a dollar for every ‘OBX’ (Outer Banks, N.C.) sticker I’ve seen on a car during my commute, I’d … have a lot more dollars. Maybe this is such an awesome place that vacationers simply cannot help themselves? I'm uncertain whether that makes me want to visit, or to stay away.

Recently, Matt and I noticed with amusement, and a little disdain, “SR” stickers. We got close enough to a vehicle to make out the teeny-tiny type that tells you that, yes, nearby Loudoun County’s own South Riding (an attractive but at least slightly creepy pre-planned community) has a sticker of this type. Matt joked that we needed to get a PV (Pleasant Valley).

Lo and behold – while I was away on vacation, Matt and his mom spotted one! (on a vehicle, on the road) We’ve seen several more since. And, yes, if we figure out where to get them, our poor little Ford Focus, thus far unafflicted by stickers, will be sporting a proud PV.

That all is amusing enough, as far as I’m concerned. But this morning, we saw the ultimate capper: PW. For, and I kid you not, Prince William (county). From whence we just escaped, er, moved. I hope you don’t think me racist for honestly reporting that a Hispanic man, blasting really frenetic, scratchy tunes out of his open window, was at the wheel of the white pickup.

Hee.

Side note: South Riding, which is practically a few softball tosses away from Pleasant Valley (though over a county line) if you go the back way, has its very own Curves! And it's open slightly later than my previous Curves. Maybe I shouldn't quit after all...

3 comments:

  1. I've been to the Outer Banks. I think when we were there, my mom bought an OBX sticker. It's less developed than lots of East Coast beaches, which may be why people want to prove that they were there. Nice place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:20 PM EDT

    The best one I ever saw was the generic outline of a dog, with the letters "MUTT."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:54 PM EDT

    totally the slowest week ever. we just went to 4 10's for the summer and I look up around 3 and realize "I still have 3 hrs to go!" sheesh. But fridays off! nice!

    ReplyDelete