Monday, August 21, 2006

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I have one of those yukky head cold things today. It's mostly a battle to stay awake here at my desk. I find I don't want coffee when I'm sick, which is probably an indication that it's no good for me. As usual, I'll ignore the suggestion once I feel well again.

I can't taste my food today, either. What fun is that? Seriously. When food ceases to be a pleasure, take me out and shoot me. I was never in danger of being a teen-aged anorexic, that's for sure.

This weekend, Matt and I got an incredible, unexpected gift. We felt like dancing around in front of our house, singing "HALLLELUJAH!" at the top of our lungs. But we didn't. But we sure wanted to.
I can't recall if I've complained about the neighbors across the street. (and keep in mind that, in a townhouse community, 'across the street' means 12 paces across the blacktop.) They are by far the most obnoxious in the neighborhood, as far as I can tell. Matt and I have been fantasizing about them selling the place or moving away for quite some time now. Usually, problems are not solved quite this simply, but Saturday, the owner of the place came by and asked us some questions about them -- she'd just booted them, and they left a whole bunch of stuff behind, including a fish tank (full of fish) and a DOG, for heaven's sake. Matt and I assumed they were drug dealers, from the frequency and variation of traffic in and our of the place (and our parking spots). Then there was the late-night noise. And the loud cursing to each other as often as not when we pulled up and disembarked on our way home from work. And the kids playing in the street, despite the presence of a lovely playground and park on the other side of the house. Etc. Etc.

Normally, I feel bad about exulting in another's misfortune, but it's just too glorious -- and unexpected -- to have them GONE. Praise GOD. Praise God, Praise God. And have mercy on those poor kids, who will have a hard time in this world with sterling parenting examples like those. It suddenly feels like we live in an entirely new neighborhood, and we're pretty thrilled about it. I know I sound like some sort of snobby elitist. And, I'm sorry for that. But since I haven't been able to control the situation one way or the other, please allow me to be happy when it tips in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment