Monday, August 07, 2006

Yay!!!!!

Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.
Matt got the promotion.

Okay, you get the point. :)

We just went to a little celebratory lunch, where we talked about this and that. He tells me that one of his friends, upon hearing that the wedding reception is beer and wine "only," is already planning to bring her mini bottles of liquor. I shouldn't even mention this, really, because it just makes me mad. Also, Matt's been told about eight times by those he works with, and his friends, that we're nuts to be inviting other people's kids to our wedding/reception. (These are people who didn't invite kids to their own reception, despite the fact that they had two kids.) Because it's not about kids! It's apparently about getting loaded on someone else's dime. (yes, I know, if she brings minis, it's not on our dime. Just at our reception. Argghhh). Then again, if Matt's friends don't want to bring their kids, hooray! But I do hope that my friends do. It's about sharing this moment with our friends, and we're all about the kids for us at this point in our lives. I just can't believe that other people are aghast that we're inviting kids. I'm not against the adults-only 'do; I suppose I'm just annoyed at people imposing their ideas about what a reception should be on us. Go have a party on your own time. This is our one chance to do what we want to do, and we want you there, too. But go easy on something as basic as us wanting kids there.

Matt and I nervously drove out to the reception site on Saturday to meet with the guy who's now default in charge of receptions and events. Poor guy! He referred to himself as the owner at one point, so I guess that's what he is. Anyhoo, we arrived about 20 minutes late, and he was about 22 minutes late. That was a good sign. All went quite well. Then, at the end of the discussion, as we were wrapping things up, I said, "Oh -- one more thing! Matt and I wanted to confirm one thing that the previous planner said -- that, if we 'went dark' that night (rented the whole facility), you waive the $2,000 event fee. Is that true?" His eyes widened only slightly, and he said, "Uhhh ... Sure." Oops. Not true. But he's going to honor that initial agreement. I guess this all works in our favor. I feel a little bit bad about it, but as Matt said -- they're getting plenty of money from this event. Their mistake, their problem. I shan't be volunteering the money, in any case.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM EDT

    Matt's promotion is great news! Pat him on the back for me. It's so good that it came through right after you had to fix the central heating and air.

    There were a gagillion kids at my sister's wedding. Her reception site happened to have a giant sandbox. She added a few buckets and shovels and the whole crowd kept themselves busy for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Matt!

    Chapman weddings always have plenty of kids and alcohol and it's always fun. Only a few people really get 'trashed' but quite a few are unable to drive themselves home (but everyone arranges ahead of time how they're individually handling transportation.)

    Kids and alcohol mix well as long as adults only get "silly" drunk and not vomiting / stripping clothes off drunk, which I don't personally think is appropriate at weddings.

    I've never been to any wedding that was more fun than the Chapman family's (and having been a photographer's assistant for a few years, I've been to a lot).

    The kids all get out and dance the whole time. A few parents bring coloring books but for the most part, everyone just has a lot of fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Matt!!!

    About the kids... tell those would be advice givers to bug off. They're full of crap and damned selfish about it, too.

    My wedding was 100% completely dry. It started out being adults only - not because I wanted to exclude kids, but at that point in my life there were no significant children in my life and like you, space was at a premium at our reception. So the invitations went out adults only.

    But then I found out that a lot of folks were having trouble arranging babysitters. We were getting married on Memorial Day weekend. So, since my reception was being held in the church fellowship hall, I got permission to use the nursery and I hired a babysitter to be with the kids. That lasted for about twenty minutes. This one was crying and wanted mommy. That one needed a hug from daddy. On and on... until there was no one left in the nursery except for the babysitter. But you know what, the reception was a blast! I was so glad the children were there. They really added a lot.

    The funny thing is that our DJ told me three days before the wedding that he knew my reception was going to be a total dud because it was dry. He said I shouldn't be disappointed if everyone went home bored and miserable. Nice thing to say to an insane bride-to-be, huh? But after the reception he said he was amazed because he had never been to a better reception. And I don't think he was lying because he seemed like a real "I told you so" kinda guy.

    All that to say... kids and receptions go together like na na na sho bop a wop (Imagine the crowd breaking out into the final song from the movie Grease.)

    ReplyDelete