Tuesday, June 27, 2006

H2Overkill

Sheeminey, folks! Have you ever SEEN so much rain? I heard on the radio this evening that the D.C. area (as measured at Reagan Airport) had received 11 inches this calendar year until last week -- and we've gotten 10 inches more since SATURDAY. We're sure to break that tonight, as the waters keep on risin' ... Nuts.

To those who might be saying to themselves, "Hey, isn't that chick from the Pacific Northwest? Aren't they known for their rain?" I have this rejoinder: We ARE known for rain, but the truth is, it's all about the cloudiness. Not the actual rainfall. Clouds, I can handle. I welcome clouds. And a little rain now and then, well, it must fall, right? But this is totally nuts. I walk out the door and it feels like a steamy tropical jungle. Like one of those misty rooms in a zoo where they keep the really high-maintenance tropical plants. Where your skin is glistening from the misters going at full blast after a minute or two.

I finally had enough today when I used the bathroom at work and, while washing my hands, felt my feet being sprayed from some invisible leak in the sink piping. As if the stuff outdoors, and in our parking garage (is there any good reason that IT shoudld be flooding? And should be dripping from the ceiling? And should smell like my grandma's stone basement? I really think not), and coming from every ceiling tile I encounter weren't enough. Are buildings not waterproof anymore? Okay, we can't do much about rivers and creeks cresting, but ... our CEILINGS?!

Thanks. I just had to get that off of my chest.

In other news, I might just have given a certain workout facility an overly harsh rap the other day. I had my first "independent" workout today, and it wasn't bad! After some more vigorous footwork on the recovery boards, my heart rate was in the suggested range. I certainly did more in that half hour than I would've, had I come home and sat on my tush as I do most nights. And it was DEFINITELY more fun than slogging through 40 minutes on the treadmill. So ... perhaps I'll stick it out.

1 comment:

  1. You all have really been taking a beating--I saw on the news that cars are being swept off the roads. Of course, in NC during hurricane season, the news was always way dramatic, and we'd look out our windows and it woul look like just another day.

    ReplyDelete